Do positive affirmations really work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think that if you believe you are happy, you are happy. Look at all your blessings in your life and see how good you have it (take a look at pictures of Japan right now if you need help). Remind yourself of all the great things you have done. Try not to dwell on the negative and suddenly your day will seem a bit brighter.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 4:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes, they do. The use of positive affirmations comes from a philosophy known as transcendentalism. It is a philosophy on the lines of, you are what you think. You become what you tell yourself. I tell my students it is the ultimate fake it until you make it gig. In other words, tell yourself the good stuff even if you don't believe it yet. Eventually it creates new neural pathways in the brain and changes basic old out moded ways of thinking.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 4:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think so, i bet if i told you everyday how beautiful you are for a week, i bet you would feel alot better about yourself. just an example. :)
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think so, I find much more peace in my life when I visualize the good, the positive (which is hard to do sometimes) vs. other times when I get on the negative train and live in that energy. I do believe that like draws like energy. Even if someone doesn't believe it - what possibly could be wrong with living with and surrounding yourself with good positive intention?
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i have found that they do for me! It was HARD to get into doing this, but, every morning upon waking up I tell myself in my head as I lay in bed, that today is going to be a good day, that I am a good person and can handle anything that comes my way. I remind myself to always treat others how I would like to be treated. If I have a test or an interview or something schedualed, i just try to picture it step by step, going perfectly, how I will feel etc. And generally, it really helps me have a good day, or at least accept it when things don't go my way :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 4:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• yes, i feel stupid when i say things to myself but then i find myself thinking the positive things
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 4:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• For sure, it truly is a state of mind.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• In my experience, yes they do so long as you're doing them "right." Basically, if you actually believe in it and push away the negativity.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I do believe it's a state of mind
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 2:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Absolutely! If you tell a person they are crap their whole lives, they start to believe it...just ask my DH. His mom was a.....well not a nice person. So same stands true for being told of your value.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2011