Have you used a baby sling?

I am considering purchasing one of those fashionable baby slings, instead of a regular baby carrier. I am just wondering if anyone has used one, if you liked it, hated it etc. Does it work well for newborns? I have never seen one used before, and I just have this picture in my head of the baby falling out, or being all squished in it! lol. But, I like the way they look and I assume they would not sell them if they were not safe! So, what are your experiences using this??

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 4:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I loved my sling. And my wrap. They're better for baby then the typical bjorn style carriers, which from what I've heard, are bad for baby's hips. I used a moby style wrap for newborn, and a ring style sling from about 15ish lbs and up- the max weight limit is 35lbs on my sling, and most slings, though I have never used it past prob 25lbs or so.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i had both! the sling was great to breast feed in and for doing things around the house! but my dd was 9 pounds at birth so she got heavy fast! i like the baby carrier better! it was easier on my back and as she got older she could look around at things! i only used them until she was 6 months old then she was crawling and wanted nothing to do with them!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Love the slings. But you don't need to buy a "sling". Any sturdy scarf that is large enough will work.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 4:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I had an Amy Coe sling, and i loved it. You can lay a newborn in it, and when they get older, use it for a support under them when they are on you hip. I had my baby in a sling until she was 15 months, not all the time, but it helped me carry her. She hated the bjorn type carrier.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I had both, when the bbaies were little I loved the maya wrap, once they got about 9months old I used the carrier thing until they started walking or if we were going hiking:)
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I love my Maya Wrap ring sling. I used it for 3 out of my 4 boys. I used it from newborn until 35 pounds. I loved it for nursing since it has a tail to use for that. It has a padded shoulder for comfort.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have a wrap. I've used it a few times when my daughter was younger, but I use the carrier now that she holds her head up.

JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I could never get the hang of the sling; I was more comfortable with a front pouch

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Look into consumer reports before buying a sling- they are seriously death traps if not used properly. I am short and wraps didn't work well for me either. I used an ergo carrier and highly recommend them.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i HATED my sling but i did have a have a Jeep baby carrier (the cheaper, better version of the baby bjorn carrier) My son loved the carrier cuz then he sould see everything and snoop. He'd scream if i even attempted the sling cuz he's so snoopy he'd get mad he couldn't look around. My son won't even let me hold him if he's facing me! Such a little snot! lol
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011