AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet, impose overage fees (update), have you heard about this?

I don't know how prevalent AT&T is out there, where all of you are but I am thinking if one internet provider does this, then why shouldn't they all? And what gets me, is that they say this will only impact 2% of their customers, why would they even bother? I think there is more to this picture...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/13/atandt-will-cap-dsl-u-verse-internet-and-impose-overage-fees/

AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet, impose overage fees (update)

By Sean Hollister posted Mar 13th 2011 7:05PM

Breaking News Ladies and gentlemen, the days of unlimited broadband may be numbered in the United States, and we're not talking wireless this time -- AT&T says it will implement a 150GB monthly cap on landline DSL customers and a 250GB cap on subscribers to U-Verse high speed internet starting on May 2nd. AT&T will also charge overage fees of $10 for every additional 50GB of data, with two grace periods to start out -- in other words, the third month you go over the cap is when you'll get charged. DSLReports says it has confirmation from AT&T that these rates are legitimate, and that letters will go out to customers starting March 18th. How does AT&T defend the move? The company explains it will only impact two percent of consumers who use "a disproportionate amount of bandwidth," and poses the caps as an alternative to throttling transfer speeds or disconnecting excessive users from the service completely. Customers will be able to check their usage with an online tool, and get notifications when they reach 65 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent of their monthly rates. We just spoke with AT&T representative Seth Bloom and confirmed the whole thing -- rates are exactly as described above, and the company will actually begin notifying customers this week. He also told us that those customers who don't yet have access to the bandwidth usage tool won't get charged until they do, and that AT&T U-Verse TV service won't count towards the GB cap. Update: What prompted this change to begin with? That's what we just asked AT&T. Read the company's statement after the break. We are committed to providing a great experience for all of our Internet customers. Less than 2 percent of our Internet customers could be impacted by this approach - those who are using a disproportionate amount of bandwidth. We will communicate early and often with these customers so they are well aware of their options before they incur any additional usage charges. The top 2 percent of residential subscribers uses about 20 percent of the bandwidth on our network. Just one of these high-traffic users can utilize the same amount of data capacity as 19 typical households. Lopsided usage patterns can cause congestion at certain points in the network, which can slow Internet speeds and interfere with other customers' access to and use of the network. Our new plan addresses another concern: customers strongly believe that only those who use the most bandwidth should pay more than those who don't use as much. That's exactly what this does – and again, 98% of our customers will not be impacted by this. DSLReports

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 5:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The cap is too low - if you have anyone in your house who plays MMOs or uses their console games online, and anyone in your house who uses streaming video to watch tv (Netflix, HULU, etc), you'll easily hit and exceed that cap without trying.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• What a step backwards. This is how it use to be when dial-up first started. It is just a way to cash in on the amount of time people are spending on line. I guess they got us 'addicted' and now they are charging (kind of like drug dealers that give you the first drugs for free until they get you hooked). They don't understand that I can live without all of this. I did for many years. I will again.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Himm, I wonder if that means we will be seeing less of some of the ladies her on cm?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

If they're really net-unsavvy. More likely AT&T is going to see a drop in customers and WiFi services are going to see a jump as people who can't switch start using their phone and laptop wireless to do more.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think I'll worry about it. DH's company pays for all of our online services and phones, and wireless computers.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• AT and T has no idea what they are in for. DH's company throttles data after a ridiculously large amount of usage (and we are talking cell phones here). You would NOT believe the amount of people that call him literally screaming.

People will be jumping ship like crazy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm not worried about this.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We're a Verizon family (hubby's primary account), and are eagerly awaiting word for when FiOs gets here!

i admit, I miss Verizon.. Had to switch to AT&T for cell in AK, because they have the only strong service.. No Verizon cell towers here... They "contract" cell towers from Alaska Communications Svc, which is crap... But we don't use AT&T for tv or internet....  I look forward to moving back to the lower 48 and getting Verizon back...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Well, I am still on dial-up so I guess I am safe......
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011