Square footage

So, hubby is getting serious about buying a house. I am scared to make that kind of commitment but, he is serious. So, I am looking at houses online and I am wondering about square footage. Our apartment is either 1100 or 800 sq ft and it is small. So, how big is your house (sq ft) and how many bath/bed rooms does it have? And do you feel like it is small.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 5:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We live in a 3,000 sq. ft home. It has 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. It's a good size for us.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• 800 sq ft is small for a family of more than 3, IMO. if it's just you, your husband and one child, it could work but even then it's still on the smaller side. 1100 is in the more ideal range. the apartment i live in currently is 3 bedroom, 2 bath and about 1185 sq ft. the bedrooms are massive, bathrooms are ideal and the living room is huge. much bigger than any living room ive had in previous apartments. we're moving to a 3 bedroom, 3 bath + bonus room house next month though that is 1700 sq ft (2 story) and needless to say it will be plenty of room for dh, me and our 3 kids.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Ours is just over 2,000sq. ft. with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. It's perfect for 3 people, we could even do a little smaller if we had to but we like not being crunched on top of each other.
    Anonymous

• Our current house is about 2500 sq ft. We are going to be moving to another state and the houses we are looking at for the same money are much bigger.

I should probably warn you that even if it seems big...you will grow into it! It has happened that way with every house we have bought!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Our house is around 2400 sq ft? Im not really sure to be honest, my husband has said its 2700 sq ft. We have a large 5 bdrm ranch house with a wrap around porch on 5 acres. It sometimes actually does feel small, but I know it isnt. There are only 4 of us in it but we just have alot of things. That is the thing though, when you get a bigger place you end up filling it up.

Answer by gemgem at 5:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We have 5 kids so, I am worried about it being too small. I don't feel like we are on top of each other here but, my husband wants a house and the kids are getting bigger and so are their toys.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• also, i live in florida where ive heard the housing is smaller here. my eyes widened at everyone else saying their homes are in the 2000+ square footage range, and then i remembered a friend of mine who moved here recently from GA and her saying the housing here is smaller.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I live near the NC coast and my house is between 2500 and 3000 sq. ft. 4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, living room, den, kitchen with dining room. I wouldn't want a bigger house because I wouldn't want to clean it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Wow, you ladies live in big houses. There are 4 of us, we live in a split level with a total square feet of about 1150. Rooms are all small but we could only afford so much and I just wanted to buy. As a child there were 6 kids and off and on both of our parents. One bathroom and all us kids were in the same bedroom. We survived!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• There are five of us living here along with a rabbit, two fish tanks and two large breed dogs. Our house is about 1400 square feet. I think because the house is well laid out it seems bigger. We have plenty of space except for storage. We also have a 300 square foot screened in porch. We have about 1/2 an acre. Right now it seems just fine. I always kind of laugh to myself when people with two or three kids complain that their house is too small and it's a 2000 and up square foot house. My cousin and her husband built a 3500 square foot house when she got pregnant. When she got pregnant again they built a 4500 sq. ft. house. Then when she got pregnant again they built a 6000 sq. ft. house. I was like that is just plain crazy!!! But it's their money not mine.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011