DH hurt my feelings....kind of a vent

As some of you who answered my "Brown Sugar" question know I was trying to make Zesty BBQ chicken in the crockpot for dinner tonight...come to find out we don't even have any damn chicken lol...I thought we did, but no....

So anyways DH called from work and I let him know what happened (he was looking forward to it) I told him how sorry I was, that I felt really bad about it because I know he was looking forward to it (I couldnt get the chicken myself because we only have the one car and he has it) So before I'm able to tell him that I will make fried talapia instead (his favorite) he says to me "That's okay, I'm used to being dissapointed when it comes to you and cooking"

Maybe I'm being extra sensitive (I AM prego) I don't know but that REALLY hurt my feelings...like brought tears to my eyes!....I told him when we FIRST started dating that I didnt really know how to cook...I was a total tomboy growing up and didnt have the patience to try and learn....DH wanted me to be a SAHM and so I've been trying REALLY hard to cook the things I AM good at making and trying to make new things at least once a week so he doesnt get bored....granted some of the things I've made didnt come out all that great but I AM trying...

When he says something like that it's like...fuck what the hell am I even trying for? he KNEW I couldnt cook! Why don't I get credit for trying???

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, I don't know but that hurt my feelings....I'm sad now lol

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• Don't cook anything for supper. When he comes home, tell him you didn't cook because you didn't want him to be disappointed. Tell him what is in the house that he can eat, and let it go. If you didn't think he was joking, he probably took an unkind swipe at you. If tha'ts the case, there should be consequences for his behavior. Don't be hateful. Don't be smart. Just be very kind and tell him you decided not to cook so you would not be to blame for his disappointment. Sometimes, you need to get a man's attention.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• is your DH a jokester? mine is and will say stuff like this jokingly at times.. and i always counter back with a joking insult twice as good as his. if he's not though, then yea that was really rude. maybe just point him toward the cereal and milk tonight if he wants to be an ass.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• hugs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• LOL, good answer NannyB
    dollhead78

Answer by dollhead78 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• group hugIf he was not joking then he is being mean. It takes time to learn to cook. I was also a tomboy, but I learn So keep up the good work. You can learn to cook for your new baby.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• that suck i know how you feel! i would just say, "it kinda hurt my feelings when you said you are used to being dissapointed by me and my cooking...i know it wasnt that big of a deal but can you just say sorry real quick so i can move on?" even if he doesnt feel he should say sorry, he should cuz it hurt your feelings and thats enough to deserve an apology! that would hurt my feelings too! its a button my SO pushes when it comes to cooking (if i accidentally burn something he makes fun of it) and me sleeping in sometimes (he calls me lazy!) it's usually in good humor, i chuckle but it still annoys me. then i wait till im level headed to bring it up in person and not right when he gets home! i usually send a text and say "i just want to have a brief talk at some point tonight, just to let you know" then when he gets home he'll be ready for it and will take me seriously! it works :)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 12:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2011