Why does my cat do this?

My cat and I have always been very close. She sleeps with me- generally on top of me. I used to roll over so she could lay on my chest, but since I have been pregnant, working a lot and really tired I haven't wanted to roll over. So she usually gets on top of my side or my arm on my side but then she starts patting me in the face! lol- kind of.

As soon as I stop petting her she puts her paw on my mouth or nose and it is getting really annoying. I don't want to be mean to her and I still want her to sleep with me but I just want her to lay there like she used to!

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 5:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pets

• My cat Dilly does that. I think its because you breathe on them and they are batting the breeze away!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Lol..my cat...a Norwegian Blue...does the exact same thing. She lays on top of my if I'm on my side and when I'm done scratching her head, she puts her paw out on my mouth or nose...sometimes my eye. I think it's their way of touching us back...returning the favor.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I had a cat that this radar. She would typically start out the night at the corner of the bed so that I would drift to sleep with her purring in my ear, BUt during the night she would wander off. If I woke up in the middle of the night she knew it and would immediately jump on the bed. It did not matter how still and quite I was she would be there demanding that I pet her. She would talk to me and head butt me until I started petting her. She would only stop if I put my hands under the covers. Though there were times when I had to throw the covers over me comepletely to get her to leave me alone.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• maybe she's jealous of the new baby. lol. that's pretty normal for cats though. I don't know why they do it but every cat I've had has done that.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• lol try having that times 3. Sebastian my ragdoll had to lay right at the top of my head. Honey Bear my flame point Himmie on my chest and my white persian Lily on my stomach. I couldn't roll over or barely move. I miss them all and wish they where still here to annoy me. Cats do that to get you to pay attention to them and they like attention! that's so cute
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• She's probably just trying to get your attention and to get you to start petting her again. I've had 2 cats that do this...I'll be petting, they'll be purring, then I will stop petting for whatever reason, and they'll take their paws and just start lightly tapping/pawing at my hand until I start petting them again.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Maybe the baby is moving and irritating her.  All my pets changed behavior while I was preggo.  They know something is up.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who has a cat like this. I love her like a child. I don't know what I would do without her, but I'd really like to sleep for more than and hour at a stretch. I'm almost dreading when the baby comes because I will have the both of them. Maybe I can get them on the same schedule.....

HA!

:)
    meandrphoto

Comment by meandrphoto (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• HA HA - my cat does this as well. Now that she's 17 years old she has a thyroid condition and can't sleep through the night so at some point usually about 3 am I have to shut her out of my room so we can sleep - otherwise she'll keep touching our face with her paw and meowing - her needs are met - she has food, medication etc. so I think it's just a "night owl" thing for her. I love her to death and I love her snuggled next to me but when she starts prowling - she's got to go out of our room. She has always been a very verbal and touchy cat - I think it's just a personality trait.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2011