Is Goth/Emo/punk just a phase for teenagers?

(my son that is 16 wanted me to ask this)

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• For a lot of them, yes they think it's "cool" and "different." For those like me, no it's not, it's just who they are. I LOATHE the label "emo" and I have literally punched people for calling me that because A. I hate being labeled, and B. I find that term to be very degrading and pathetic. The "emo" kids were the ones who were very fake and dramatic over EVERYTHING. Sooo irritating. I hated teenagers when I was one.

Anyway, with most kids it does seem to just be a phase because they want to pretend to be different so they can piss off their parents or something.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Typically, although for some it becomes a way of life... but most of my friends who went "punk/emo/goth" in high school quickly outgrew it when they entered society.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Lol...well considering I'm not still wearing dog collars and bondage pants, um...I assume so! Lord willing the kids will grow out of it and get jobs with dress codes! LOL!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My daughter dressed punk as a way to push people away at school when she changed schools the look was gone in about a year, now she is very traditional with an edge!
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think it is a phase for most. But for some people it's just who they are. I go to a club that has a goth industrial night. I've met people there who are in their late 30s. I'd say the average age is 18-25 though. I think a lot of people who identify as goth/punk tend to mature into this manner of style that can look more professional if needed but can go with the personal choices as well. I have my "work" look and my out of work look. completely different styles. I have quite a few tattoos but thankfully I got them all in places that are easily covered. Same with piercings. I do have one facial piercing that has lasted over the years (used to have 3) but the rest are in my ears. I've toned down a lot but I still have very goth/punk looks when I want to play up that side of me.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011