Would elections be different if we didn't list candidate names or party affiliations?

I always wanted to conduct a large-scale national "poll" in the form of a mock-election. However, rather than listing party affiliation and candidate names, I would like to present objective narratives of the political platforms of the specific candidates in laymen's terms. The "ballot" would also offer an introduction explaining the role of the government positions being voted for, as well as a sort-of glossary in case some terms are not understood.

It is my suspicion that MANY of our elections would have turned out differently. It would reflect a huge disparity between what people truly want and what they're voting for.

I would be curious to see the results.

Thoughts?

mommee_b

Asked by mommee_b at 1:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, as a nation everyone has a "label" and when something doesnt they will find one that "fits"
    If we just looked at what they have done, etc and not their label it would be very different.
    It's the same as someone says I am a young mom, a select group of people will assume that my kids arent taking care of, I get welfare, etc. Then their are people that would ask are you a good mom, etc.
    I just totally lost my train of thought, it will come back later lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• it would be different i mean i fthings were based of what they were there for and not who they were or what they looked like then things would turn out very different
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 2:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Ummm, being that I am firm on my political stance, I would have to say I would KNOW based on their views on the issues if they are right for me. HOwever I would be curious where the general public would cast their vote if it were based on platform and issues and NOT commericals, propaganda, and lies.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I'm not sure HOW differently things would turn out, but I'm sure it would be different. I know some staunch Republicans who vote Republican no matter what. If Kermit the frog were Rep. and ran for president, they'd be right there voting for "the Rep.". I'm not entirely sure that they even know what "the issues" are. Not everyone votes for the right reasons, which is sad, but true. In a perfect world, people would be voting based solely on facts and platforms. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen, though.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I agree with DusterMommy somewhat, I am Republican and was not going to vote that party this election, but ended up voting that since the person I was going to vote for was never going to win and he had a lot of my views. I also kept up with the race from the get go. I knew what every candidate's views were and what they stood for. I am not sure that everyone who voted for either party knew what the views were. Still don't think that people know what President Elect Obama can do and if he can not do everything he stated a lot of people will be angry, just like with President Bush. My opinion and not the views of CafeMom
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 8:18 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Of course they would be different. First of all, a lot less people would vote because it would be a pain. Second, people wouldn't be voting for just a political party. Third, people wouldn't have the option of going with their gut, based on their feeling about a candidate. I have done the last one more than once when I had a hard time making up my mind based on their views. Also, I couldn't vote for someone I felt was shady or didn't trust. I would not vote if your idea was the way we had to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I think it would be really hard to do this. Most of the issues are so complex and a lot of the answers are very complex too. Politicians get criticized for not being straight forward on the issues, but a lot of times the answers are not straight forward and neither are the questions. What you are suggesting would be a huge undertaking. It would be hard to condense all of that information and to have it be non-biased.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It probably would be very different because a lot of people don't or won't take the time to read what there is out there now, they vote for or against candidates based on the clothes they wear, their hairstyles, the color of their skin, or how well they speak in public (irregardless of what they say.) If it can't be bundled up in a 5 second sound bite, they don't care.If they didn't have those things to go by, most people wouldn't even vote. As it is now, elections are like high school proms, just a popularity vote, not who can run the country best.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Oh I think it would be a wonderful idea. I see where you are coming from and it could be as simple as a chart having Candidate A supports blah blah blah (like you said "in Layman's terms") and Candidate B supports yada, yada, yada...just like the ones we have seen already with a list of the issues and a check mark by the ones they support.

I know for a fact that many (not all) voted fro reasons other than political platform standings. I saw an interview where a woman was asked whom she would be voting for...she said Obama. To which the reporter asked her, "And how to do feel about him selecting Sarah Palin as his running mate?" She said it was wonderful and that he couldn't have chosen a better person.

UH, HELLO?

This may have been an election for the history books but only because it had such a large turn out of morons.
    -kelli-

Answer by -kelli- at 9:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• kelli- if u can give me a link to that interview it would be great
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2008