Swollen thumb from suckn

my 3 y/o sucks her thum all during her sleep, wen shes tired and sick.
but its at the point i noticed, its bigger then her other thumb.
its got red spots at the base, its not cracked yet... (it has gotten cracked in the past, but never swollen) and so red and swollen.. she said it doesnt hurt, but it looks painful...
i wrap it now to keep her from sucking on it, but is there anything else that will bring down the swelling other then time?
any suggestions on how to get her to stop suckn her thumb permently??

jlouise03

Asked by jlouise03 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did u talk about this to the doctor? U need to.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'd definitely talk to her doctor about the redness and swelling. Could get infected.
    Sometimes the "nail polish" for thumb sucking works and other times the kids don't care about the taste and just suck it off!
    When my daughter was about 4 she wanted to stop sucking her thumb so she asked me to tie her doll mitten over it! When she was home, I just tied yarn around the little mitten that slipped over her thumb. Amazingly it worked! But of course she wanted to stop and it was her idea!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would call the doctor.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 7:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• call her doctor and talk to them
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2011