How fast should you go on a treadmill or the elliptical?

i want to make sure I am getting the most of my workout and not wasting my time. I have over 100 lbs to lose.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I agree with mainemusicmaker
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:43 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It is more about the length of time you are on the treadmill and how consistently you are active and not how fast. I jog at about 4.0-4.2 and walk between 3.3 and 4.0. Really its the amount you do and that you keep doing it. Even 45 minutes at 3.0 every other day would help you lose weight if you are eating right also.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 6:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Try interval training. Start at a slow walk, build up to a fast walk then jog for a minute, then slow down to a pwoer walk and do 3-5 more jogging bursts.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/15964-cardio-interval-training-treadmill/
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Not very.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Base it on how you're feeling. Fast enough to feel your heart rate elevate but not so much that you can't hold the pace for very long. Interval training is awesome, but build up to it. Good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I start at 3.0 then on 4.0 for 5min then 5.0 for 10min.I do that for 45min.
    kiran595

Answer by kiran595 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I do interval training which is best for losing weight which means 2 minutes of really pumping it out and then 1 minute recovery time. I go fast enough that I can feel the burn but not so fast that I am breathing so hard I feel faint. It is all about what you are comfortable with and what your fitness level is. and quality and quantity of workout is better than getting on, overdoing it and getting pulled muscles and being out of the gym as a result
    dakotafriend

Answer by dakotafriend at 11:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Moderation is the key. Keep your heart rate up, but make sure you can keep a verbal conversation going without feeling winded. Listen to your body. Never over do it. Good luck to you! : )
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You should go at a steady pace. Like someone else already said, it's more about the length of time you spend on the machine instead of how fast you go.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It depends on what your body can comfortably handle. You need to start slow and work your way up.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011