What should I do if my 1 year old refuses to drink milk?

He will be 1 on March 25. He is still nursing 3 x daily, but his weight isn't quite where it should be. Our doctor recommended starting him on some whole milk to supplement a little until he weens completely. He hates the stuff, has yet to drink a few ounces and it has been a week. I heat it or serve it cold... doesn't matter..

MamaEryn

Asked by MamaEryn at 6:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't force it. 2 of my children won't touch milk either. They use coconut milk on their cereal and will occasionally drink it too. Human's don't need milk. They do both eat cheese and yogurt, so maybe try some whole milk yogurt, you'll get more of the fat that your little guy needs that way anyhow. You could also try some healthy fat foods, like avocados.

His weight shouldn't really be much of a concern unless he's not meeting his development milestones. One of my non milk drinkers spent the first 4 years of her life at the 3rd percentile,after weighing over 8# at birth... but she was spot on for her developmental milestones. Her doctor said so long as we could plot her, we weren't going to stress about it... but we added the good fats to her meals where we could. :-)
    DangerousMommy

Answer by DangerousMommy at 7:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Can you pump some breast milk and mix a little bit of whole milk with it for a week or so? Then go 50/50 for another week. Then 75%milk and 25% breast milk and so on until it is all whole milk? He may adjust to it easier that way and start to like it. Just an idea......
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Try more cheeses and yogurt. You can make "chocolate milk" the natural way by using carob which you can get from a health food store if you really feel he has to drink milk. I know some people who have put a teaspoon of honey in the milk and that works for their kids!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Oh, and kudos for still nursing!
    DangerousMommy

Answer by DangerousMommy at 7:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• He is meeting his milestones. we will know more at his 1 yr check up. He was almost 10 lbs at birth, Now he is just about 19. He eats lots of healthy fats, including avocado and soy nut butter. I don't pump very well, especially at this point. He drinks to the last drop :) I only get drops. I will try some honey in the milk, maybe that will help. I have never heard of carob, maybe I will give that a try too! Thanks for the great ideas Ladies! And the kudos too. ;) ~Eryn
    MamaEryn

Comment by MamaEryn (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011