Does it mean anything when a child has a rash with their fever?

Obviously I know he's sick if he's fighting a fever, but a rash. What could that mean?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Rashes are pretty common. Is it every time he gets a fever, or just this time. Many common viral infections can cause a rash. We just treat the symptoms and let their fever do the rest.

I get prickly heat type rashes with fevers.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• my three yr old had a viral thing = flu a month or so back
    when she was getting better, she developed rash
    i took her in thinking it was viral thing working its way out'
    doc said, yes rash was with viral infection/flu bug
    he also said does not have to be at end of viral, can be at begining of, or during anytime, or not at all

could be the same as my child had
    along with rash
    she had fever - high ish over 100, over the counter meds brough down kept under control, one day of this
    ZERO appetite for a week, some loose poops..and then rash when appetite was starting to come back

feel better soon, little one
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Sometimes a fever can cause a rash. I believe it is called roseola, but I am not quite sure at the moment. Is he on an antibiotic? If so it could also be an allergic reaction. I would make a doc appt. Just to be safe. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Rashes are very difficult to diagnose....there are rashes with scarlet fever/scarletina caused by strep and all kinds of rashes associated with viral illnesses like Fifth's disease. A medical person probably needs to see it to be able to diagnose it properly. I'd call the pedi and talk to someone this evening to see what to do if it was me.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Rashes can mean different things, far better to have the child seen by a doc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My daughter just got over the flu with a fever and had a light pink rash that looked like tiny pimples all over her belly. I thought it was a "fever rash", but one of our friend's fathers is a doctor and he said it looked like what they see with a protein deficiency.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• talk to their doctor if you are concerned
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2011