How do I help my son understand that his choices are really hurting his home and school relationships?

He lies about doing his homework or he forgets.

whoodidit203

Asked by whoodidit203 at 1:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• That's easy sit down with him and review all of his assignments every single night. No priviledges (tv, outside, video games, etc) until you have checked everything. Talk to his teachers about emailing you a homework list every afternoon so that you can be more on top of things. He's not going to understand the long term consequences of a poor education at this age....it's your responsibility to enforce it whether he understands or not.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• At my kids school they have a website where we can check what homework is due and also what they ate for lunch. Check your schools office and see if they have one.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Oh the first poster...DEFINITELY!!! Call his teachers, make sure you get ALL his assignments, when he comes home, do it with him, or make him do it, and you have to check it. HE GETS NO PRIVILEDGES UNTIL ALL HIS HOMEWORK IS DONE!! Plan and simple.
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 1:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• you have two choices: you can just get very involved with his schoolwork or you can let him fail.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would ask him why it's not getting done and ask if he knows what will happen if this continues also ask him if something is bothering him. I don't blame him. It could be the school if he is in or it could just be him being lazy.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I agree with Kimebs it is our responsiblity to make sure they get their school work done
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I go pick my boys up and make sure they have their work I keep and open line with the teachers.
    TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 7:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I actually work at the school my son attends. I talk to the teachers everyday. One of them loves to tell me every little thing he does thinking she is being a good friend. I go back to school for books, He uses my computer when ever he needs it at work and at home. I go home to get things he forgets. I remind him becuase the teachers tell me when projects tests and homework are due. Being a teacher I think he has to take some responsiblity for something.
    whoodidit203

Answer by whoodidit203 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• In my daughter school,they have an agenda book each assignment is written in this book.Also, I don't check her homework every night,(she's 14),but, she don't know what night I'm going to check ,so she makes sure it's done every night.Now, I do admit,I'm having a time,getting my grandson to do homework. I wish you luck.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2008