Kindergarten dress code???

Ok so My dd is 4 and where i live you have to pre register them in march so i spoke to someone today and found out that the kids are required to wear (really a uniform) but they don't call it that. White or Blue collared shirt and blue pants or skirts. I really don't like this. I know there is nothing i can do about it but, i am just really frustrated right now. How do you feel about school uniforms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I prefer them. I think it is just easier and cheaper.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't want my kids to have to wear them, but I can see where it may be a more class less system in some respects especially as you get older and children and teens want expensive designer clothes.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Honestly, I don't have a problem with school uniforms. Makes it a lot easier to get school clothes, and figure out what to wear each day heh. And they can always express their individual taste (or yours, whatever the case may be) outside of school hours.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I dont like them. I think it stifles individuality.

Answer by gemgem at 7:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Honestly, the schools in my county that do have uniforms have higher scores, fewer discipline issues, etc. But for our county it is a school to school rule and not every school in the county has uniforms.
    But when you have a wide range of monetary backgrounds in a single school, uniforms are great.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yeah i know all the pros of a dress code like that but, i was really looking forward to going school shopping with her and also my dd really likes to dress herself up in cute little outfits that she picks out and they are all very her and i don't like that she isn't going to be able to express herself that way at school.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think this is a hard issue. I know our school district tried to implement a school uniform rule and it didn't pass.  I know people who love this idea and people who hate it.

For me I think kids should be able to express themselves within reason, although now a days within reasons doesn't mean the same thing for everyone so kids wear whatever they want and as they get older that can be a problem.

So while I understand your frustation I can see the schools point as well.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I prefer them. It stops bullying & teasing based on what a child is wearing (yes, even in kindergarten), you don't have to worry about keeping up with the fad of the moment, it makes it less of a battle to get your child dressed in the morning & is cheaper, because you often buy gently worn uniforms from the parents of older children or from the school itself.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I love the idea. Kids with named brand clothings and accessories cannot put other kids down because of their "lack of" things. It also makes shopping a breeze and getting ready in the morning. But that's my opinion.

If we have the option to choose between two different schools but both on the same academic level when my DD starts and the only difference is one requires a uniform and the other does not, she will be going to the one that requires a uniform.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• @ Mom2 - I totally agree with you. Kids can be quite cruel to one another, and yes just even based on what the other wears!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2011