What do you think of attachment parenting?

I just read a book about it but it's pretty old. Does anyone practice this typy of parenting? I was always resisting sleeping with my baby but now I think it may be a good idea. I feel bad now that I never let my 3 year old in our bed when he was a baby. We were very ridid with him. Is it fair to change parenting styles with our new baby? He's 7 months now.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could read books on several different types of parenting and be slightly convinced or understand their ways. I personally don't agree with one type or style of parenting. I believe that parenting is an individual thing and very personal, and is up to the couple.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It works great for some families, including mine.

I think it depends greatly on your personality and your beliefes about parenting. Personally, i wouldn't have it any other way but certainly there are plenty of parents who raise healthy, happy children without using attachment strategies.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I consider myself an attachment parent. My three kids all slept in our bed and unfortunately for the most part, the youngest two still do (ages three and seven) ! Be prepared if you sleep your baby in your bed now, your three year old will probably want to sleep there too. Some of my favorite times though have been waking up with my three kids, snuggling them in bed and waking up before them watching the sun shine on them.

Dr. Sears is a great resource on attachment parenting, google him I think he has a website.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong to change up styles.  You live and learn.  Do what you feel best about, that's all that really matters.  With your first, you did what you thought was best.  Now you think something else is best.  Nothing wrong with that. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It may cause sibling rivalry if your 3 year old thinks the baby is receiving more attention. He probably sees that a lot already since the 7 month old is just an infant. Personally, I don't reccomended co-sleeping especially because I tried it and my son rolled out of bed once. Also, he's now 2 and I'm having trouble getting him into his own bed. It's starting to cause problems with my relationship and causing lack of sleep. I just really don't reccomend it.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think every family has to do what is best for them. For me I would not let my kids sleep with me all the time. If they had a bad dream or if they had trouble sleeping I would let them sleep with us although I always tried to put them in their own beds. If you are thinking of doing this I think you have to let both children sleep with you. If you let the 7 month old sleep with you and have the 3 year old in his own bed, I believe it will cause problems. To the 3 year old it will look like he is being left out of something with the family.

In the end you have to do what you feel is best noone can tell you what to do.  For me it is not a parenting style I would choose.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I do some things that are probably lumped into "attachment parenting" like co-sleeping, child led weaning, some baby wearing, etc. But there are things I do that almost definitely not..like spanking.

Do what works best for you and your baby.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Oh and yes I guess we do the attachment parenting.  I didn't read a book or follow any guidelines.  I like sleeping with my kids.  Soon enough, they won't WANT to sleep with me period so I look on the bright side.  My husband is also completely on board with it.  When the parents aren't together on parenting I think that's where the trouble in marriages comes in at.  To each their own and everyones experience is going to be different.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I consider myself AP. I didn't even know what AP was until I joined CM when my son was nearly 3yrs old.  I was just doing what felt right for me and my child/family!  Dr. Sears is a great source for more info.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Oh, I will say that when I did move my daughters to their own room, they have always found their way into the same bed. I like that they have that connection. I don't mean any offense to anyone that doesn't co-sleep AT ALL, but personally, for me, I find it unnatural to give birth and then put a baby two rooms away.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011