Do you think it's a sin to read about other beliefs? Like a Christian reading about Wiccan's or Catholic's or Science?

I have read books on Amish, Mormon's, Wiccan's, Voodoo, etc. My step mom thinks it's terrible. I just like to learn more about other people's belief's. It helps if you are talking to someone of a difference belief and you don't sound stupid. lol

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 7:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• no, not at all. but i understand what you're going thru. my mom has a really hard time w/ my interests in other religions...like she's afraid im going to just up & change one day just b/c of something i read. i feel it is important to know what other's believe for several reasons...peace of mind that what you believe is what you actually believe, ability to understand why others do what they do, being able to differentiate between rumor & truth about other's faith (this comes in handy a lot w/ Islam), all on top of just being a more well-rounded person. the only reason i can think of for someone to call it a sin is if they aren't strong enough to learn about something without agreeing with it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Since I don't believe in sin I'd say no. But I can't see how it would be... by learning how others believe you can become more solid in your own beliefs. You can also live in better harmony with those who may believe differently then your self, thus making your corner of the world much more peaceful ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think it is a sin at all. I think it is great that you have a belief system and are still willing to learn about others. I think that part of the problem with this world is that people don't look at others beliefs they just try to make them believe what they believe. I think as long as you are open to what someone else believes you will be stronger in your own beliefs. I am not sure if this is making sense. I guess I am all for people learning about other religions.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think so at all...when I was in college...before I dropped out to have DD my major was in theology....it was a requirement for me to learn about other religions...it never shook my faith in God and it's very interesting to know about anothers religion
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't believe its sinful at all. I actually believe its important. How can you know what you truly believe unless you actually get to make the choice, unless you actually understand the various options? And how can you learn to relate to people of other faiths unless you understand how it is they believe? Even if you're set in your beliefs, at least it helps foster understanding and tolerance, you know?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• (haha, though I don't really believe in sin in the sense that most people do...)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think so and I have never recalled that LEARNING about other beliefs was "sinful" in the bible.....only following them. Really the only thing that can come of it is it either solidifies your current beliefs, or opens you up to maybe the ones you're in weren't the right ones for you and neither scenario is bad.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I personally don't think so I am catholic and I have read stuff on wicca and other things. Also I went to a Catholic college for a year and they require religion classes and in those they teach about all types of religions (except wicca).
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 7:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Nope but growing up it was frowned upon as it was felt you had the whole truth and didnt need to look further PLUS it might let the devil in and tempt ya.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• absolutely not!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2011