The teen mom question got me thinking...

Why is it that teen moms seem so common in this country? I grew up in Europe, and I've never even heard of teen moms over there... Most of my friends didn't have kids till well into their 30's. Even looking at statistics, it just doesn't seem to happen over there.

So what is it? Is it lack of sexual education, is it just more acceptable to have kids before you're even done with high school, is it that women don't feel they need to finish college and have an established career first, are women here more likely to settle down and be a "stay at home mom" earlier? Don't get me wrong, I don't think teen moms are necessarily bad moms, but they do miss out on a lot of things... And it does make it harder for them to get a good education/career. So are most of these pregnancies an accident as a result of not being informed enough about birth control, or a deliberate choice, for whatever reason? If so, what reason?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 7:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm in Europe and there's a fair number over here!
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 7:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think birth control is not readily available to all teens. I think we live in a mixed message society of "values" and "abstinance" while being surrounded by a hypersexualized media. I think everyone should be more realistic that many young adults and teens are going to have sex no matter what income level their family is in, what church they go to, etc and make birth control readily accessible i.e. available in our schools.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I live in the UK, where there are tons may I add - as many as the US percentage wise I should think, however I think there are a few less in the other countries. However I think it's because the countries that have the lowest percentages are very open countries, places that are free and open and aren't so restricted in their talking about it, it's not an embarrassing topic almost. The Netherlands has a very low percentage and they are very free and open in their conversation and attitudes towards it. Well that's what I've found from my Dutch relatives.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 7:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• PS It would also help if we also taught other sex positive ways of pleasure that don't have a risk of pregnancy with them. Teens should know there's more than one way to get off.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• In Europe the culture is WAY different than in America. In Europe the parents bring their kids up with morals, values, and teach kids to respect their elders AND theirselves. In America today it seems that parents rely on the 17 inch flat screen monitor connected to the whole world to bring their kids up. Parents today dont disciplin or spank kids. Kids in America are the ones in charge in the home. The kids decide what they want, when and how they want it. They have NO consequences for their bad behavior because the parents WONT do the hard disciplin they need. They buy and give them everything they want to keep them out of their hair. Its sad, but too true for America. And worse is people today wonder why America is SOO FAR BEHIND the rest of the worlds top countrys.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have to say that when I was in high school there weren't many girls getting pregnant back then, There were a couple although not nearly as many as there are now. I am not sure exactly what it is although I think it is a combination of things. 

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Kayalouise, that's where I'm from, the Netherlands. I should have said that instead of Europe, since I really don't know what it's like in other European countries.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Don't worry about it, I grew up there between the ages of 5 and 9 so I know exactly what you meant after I thought about it!
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 7:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• The teen pregnancy rate isn't higher in the US than other developed countries. It is just more publicized.

As for Vbruno.....American parents do raise their children up with morals, value, and teach them to respect their elders and themselves. We do discipline, we do hold them responsible for their actions, we don't all spoil them, we don't all allow them to rule the household.
    You have made generalities about the American population's way of raising children that, in my opinion, makes you look uninformed and crass.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Not true, twinsplus2more, just check out this link:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/pregadol.htm

Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011