Potty Training 911!!!

Hi,

Are there any other mothers out there who are going through this or have been through this and can offer some advice?

My son, Joey is 5 and will be turning 6 in February. He is still not potty trained. We have spoken to professionals who say not to rush him, but honestly we are running out of time. He has to be enrolled in Kindergarten by age 6 and they won't take him if he isn't potty trained. I seriously need help. He doesn't care what people say, I can't bribe him, I already tried that one.

I am running out of ideas and options.... We need serious HELP!!!!!!!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.... Thank you.

alainabeck

Asked by alainabeck at 1:33 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I honestly cant help you ,what is it he doesnt like ,does he not like sitting on the potty if so you could get him a toilet seat and just keep up praising him like mad when he uses the toilet ,maybe get him a star wall chart and everytime he uses the toilet give him a star ,my son is the same age he is 6 next april and he isnt dry at night , hubby and I have to wake him up in the night and take him to the toilet ,he is such a deep sleeper he doesnt wake up himself when he needs to go. The health visitors dont normally intervene untill they are 7 good luck
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• As his mother, do you believe that he has the physical ability to hold it when he wants to? If the answer is no or maybe, then seek a second opinion from another Dr. If the answer is definitely yes, then make him go to the bathroom every 30 min and sit or stand at the toilet. (Yes you can make him, he's only 5 so refusal really doesn't matter). Reward any success immediately. Absolutely no pull-ups. Make him help to clean up his own messes, even to the point of him helping to wash his dirty clothes. I have potty trained children as old as eleven (w/ developmental disabilities or physical issues). Consistency and Patience are key!
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Is he having problems with constipation? I know that some kids that develop encopresis still have small poops (actually leakage that gets past the blockage). If he is having constipation issues I would recommend seeing a Pediatric Gastroenterologist (sp?). If it's not a constipation issue, then I don't know what else to say. I have a late trainer (actually my second late trainer), and she has constipation issues. It's a tough problem to overcome.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:56 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I can only tell you what I would do if it were my child.... I would go to another doc... or as the mom above me reccommended perhaps a Ped. Gastro. specialist... By nearly 6 his not being potty training is possibly going to effect his self esteem later in life because he will see himself as slow or behind. He's probably well aware that other kids his age are potty trained and he's not. Did his doctor at least do any tests to see if there's a physical issue? I would hate for you to be simply "not rushing" things when there's a physical issue involved. If you find out that he's perfectly ok physically it may not be all that harmful to take him to a counselor to be evaluated. I've seen 6 and 7 year old children who still wet themselves because of pychiatric issues. Just some ideas. I hope all is fine and he's just stubborn but you need to be sure.
    Good luck!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would talk to the doctor. He seems to just simply not want to use the potty. It does not seem to be anything but a simple refusal?
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My daughter still has issue in this case. she is sentivie to sound and the automatic flushes they share her. her school is trying to help me. Please stay involved and find out what triggers this. good luck
    farout

Answer by farout at 11:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Some Kids Just potty train themselves and some need more help.My five year old little girl had a little trouble but was not hard at all because i took to the bath room with me when she was really small and then on and i made made a big deal about when she would seat on the toilet. She did really good on the big toilet at first and than she became scared of the loud flushes in public business and from then on she used a potty seat until she was 2 . I know many kids mainly boys take longer. Just make a game out of it and make it fun maybe get a older boy to show him how he will want to be like the older boy. And if its medical just don't get mad at him for having accidents cause that will really make them fell bad about themselves.
    Anonymous