DO YOU MAKE YOUR TEENS HOLD A JOB?

My older son never held a "real" job until he went into the Army but he never really asked for much money so no biggy,

My daughter worked for an apt. complex since she was 14 ... cleaning apartments, painting, mowing etc. When she left for college she immediately got a job at target and has been there 2 years.

My 18 yo is a waitress at a cafe and has been there since the day before she turned 16 (this summer it will be 3 years).

My 14 wants a work permit to work at Subway and I just don't think he can handle it.

I am not a huge fan of teens holding down a job , seems like you have enough time for that later, but for the girls it was a good thing and didn't hurt their grades etc.

What do you think about teens and jobs?

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Each child is different. Some teens are perfectly capable of working while attending schools while others aren't. I do feel that financial responsibility must be taught...ie, opening up a savings account, how much to put in it, and what can be taken out for spending. These care crucial factors in raising responsible young adults. I don't think a teen should work too much during the school year but they could work full time in the summer. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think teens should have a job to at least pay for car insurance and possibly for their cell phone. I wouldn't want that job to interfere with school though.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I guess it would depend on the job. But I don't think I'd force a kid into it. The case of the teen that was forced to get a part time job while he also had so many other commitments haunts me.
    Parents found him swinging by the neck.

Anonymous

• i would never force it..it would have to be something they earned if grades were kept up
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my kids like working, they like having their own money and not having to ask for it
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 9:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My thought is that unless the child can maintain a B average, they should not have a job. A teens job is to get good grades, so they can get into a good college. In my state, your 14 yr old would NOT be able to get a work permit to work. They have to be 15 1/2 to get a work permit and a lot of places won't hire them because of the restricted hours they can work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If they spend all their free time hanging out and not doing anything productive they should get a job. I agree they should be paying for their cell phone and gas in their car.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I worked every summer since age 14 and paid for University with my savings--not one penny of help. If your son WANTS to work at Subway, give him the opportunity to do so!
    Anonymous

• i would give it a try but if his grades slip then say he has to quit the job. but first off if he doesnt have good grades now thats a no. if he wants the job tell him to pull up his studies.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 3:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2011