If your parents were divorced, how old were you and what was the most difficult thing for you?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 7:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• My parents waited till I was 18, they were "staying together for the kids". Honestly, the most difficult thing for me was watching them fight like cats and dogs for my entire childhood. If they had gotten divorced YEARS earlier, it would have been better. This is why I'm very much against couples staying together JUST "for the kids". Believe me, kids know when you don't get along.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was 5, and the most difficult part for me was that my dad thought he divorced me and my mother, not just my mother. He was interested in parenting his son's but not so much his daughter.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was 6 when my parents "divorced".  I said it like that because they split up, led seperate lives but missed their courtdate and were never actually divorced.  When I look back now it was the way my mom fell apart.  We never had a great stable life but it got twice as bad when my dad left.  No food, utilities, clean clothing. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was 21. The hard part was how much they hated one another and bad mouthed one another in front of me. I couldn't mention dad in front of mom and vice versa. That's all in the past today.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was 23 and I am thankful they got divorced. My mom treated my dad like shit. I was rooting for my dad to divorce her. Sounds rotten of me to say that, but if you knew the story you'd see why.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was eight. It was difficult not knowing how to articulate my feelings to my mother about her leaving. I wanted to say so much, but at eight I didn't know the words. But the absolute worst part was watching my father fall apart, it was like he had been hit by a train. I became the adult pretty quickly.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was 7 or 8 when they split up. I can not remember him actually moving out but going back and forth between them each week during the summer was hard. I hating going to dads because he had moved in with the woman he cheated on my mom with. Now that I am 18 and have know that girl over 11 years I am more okay with her and dad but it was hard going down there and her acting like she was our mom. she also had 2 kids so she would always treat them better than us so that was hard also. And taking care of my 2 sisters which at the time was 6 and either a year old or younger.
    jgreene92

Answer by jgreene92 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was 9 years old. The hardest thing for me was my anger @ both of them. I had a really hard time.
    Kamajehsmommy

Answer by Kamajehsmommy at 8:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was 4. The worst thing was the anger my mother could never let go of towards my father. She let us know it at every opportunity. It taught me a lot though, when I got divorced I knew exactly how not to handle it.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011