How many children have to suffer before people are careful about who they leave their child with?

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/27194507/detail.html

Sorry I still have no idea how to make that a link.

Everyone just be careful who you leave your precious angels with :(

So this sparks the question what process/ritual/etc do you go through before you allow someone to watch your child?
I personally only left Hannah with people who kept me when I was a child- so my grandmother and my great aunt and my parents. I can't do the baby sitter thing. I am just way too paranoid.

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Most parents trust the person they leave their child with. Which is why it is so devistating when your child is harmed by the person you chose. Because not only did they violate your child they violated your trust. It makes you wonder about every decision you ever made. I do not blame parents - the fault lies with the person who committed the abuse. Many parents are indirect victims when a crime happens to their child. Yes I have baby sitters I trust. And yes I will continue to have other people, who I know and trust, spend time with my child. I don't have random people watching my child. Most crimes against children are committed by a trusted family member. Interesting that most moms here say they only leave their children with family. That is the addistional salt in the wound. I feel nothing hut sadness for families that are victims of crime.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I left my DD with a home DCP. I made sure she was licensed, and I interviewed her before making my decision. She's been great with DD, and is a good family friend today. Unfortunately there are BAD people out there who CAN'T be trusted, but there are also a LOT of great people, who CAN be trusted with children.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• The only people that have watched my son have been my parents, and my 2 sisters. And to be completely honest, they are probably the only people I will ever leave him with.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I trust absolutely no one and leave them with no one.  I read the news too much.  If there came a time when I HAD to leave them with someone, it would definitely be my stepmom. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Now I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't make sure your not leaving your child with a known child abuser/molester but if we could know someone was an abuser just by looking at them we wouldn't have the problem would we. You never know what a person is capable of and a lot of people even their own friends and family would NEVER guessed they had that secret side. Which is all the more reason to be careful but a parent can only do so much. When I had to move to NOLA I knew no one and had no choice but to hire a sitter. I did a background check and checked sex offender registries and spoke to references. she STILL could have been evil just means she hadn't been caught. At some point i just had to say you've done the best you can.

So I don't automatically blame the parents. I blame them if they didn't even check the person out.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011