Do you think drilling for oil does no harm to our earth?

Does anyone not worry about the possible problems we could have from drilling so much oil? What happens to those huge caverns under the earth's crust where the oil has settled? Does it not ever cave in, or cause earthquakes? How can drilling not be bad for our earth? It's functionally stupid to think that none of this is causing ANY problems. Oil does not replace itself, so pressure inside the earth is changing as we remove it, this is a fact.

Does anyone else think of this stuff or even care?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 8:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I am sure it does cause issue, but what can be done? The government doesn't seem willing to look for alternative methods of fuel. The oil companies will continue to profit in the billions for people NEED their cars to get to work, and have no choice but to fill them with gasoline. Airplanes need fuel, public buses need fuel, etc etc etc.

Anonymous

• As I understand it the caverns are already formed and the liquefied crude is sitting in them. 

If you're against using fossil fuels, then what should we do in terms of generating power...since people have problems with nuclear, wind turbines, solar, hemp, corn oil, etc.--since animal habitats and migration patterns may be disrupted, solar panels en masse are not attractive to look at, and not reliable for northern states to depend on solely, reactors could meltdown, and there isn't enough farmland to grow corn or hemp to substitute for crude?!

Just sayin!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Question about this question......do they have earthquakes in the middle east? I'm curious because I don't remember hearing about them and if the OP's premise is true and since a great deal of oil comes from there they should be having them. Also, they do NO drilling in Japan, so their earthquake wasn't caused by drilling.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Does it not ever cave in, or cause earthquakes?

No, it doesn't. The oil comes out one way or another - if it weren't drilled and brought up, it would seep downward and be absorbed into the rock, where it is then compressed into the rock as it is formed. Earthquakes are caused by the plates of the earth shifting, not by collapsed pockets within the plates. If it were possible for those pockets to collapse, they would if the oil was in them or not, because they are compressed by millions of tons of rock far stronger than the mass of the oil.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• http://www.oneglobalnewsnetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6:oil-released-naturally&catid=1:latest-news

The earth itself release millions of tons of oil into the oceans every year and has been doing as long as there has been oil. I think it is truly ad hoc reasoning to say the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are caused by drilling. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Ethanol gives you horrible gas mileage too. In my owner's manual it says up to 30mpg on the highway with reg gas and 16mpg with ethanol. Why would you want to use ethanol and cut your mpg almost in half?

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I do think about that. It took millions and millions of year for that oil to be made. I can't imagine it has no impact.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm sure it is affecting the earth. We should be investing in solar power and wind power. I'ts to bad the people that run this country care more about keeping the oil companies rich, then they care about the earth.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Plenty of Earthquakes in the Middle East. There was a > 7.0 earthquake in Pakistan in January-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Oh boy..............hmmmm.....where is a trained geologist when I need one?
    Uhmmm...no, not a problem. And with the nuclear events recently I see much more oil being brought up on american soil.
    GW was a fact too, remember? yeah..not so much anymore since Al went away.
    Alrighty then....drill baby drill
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2011