When did you take down your baby gates?

My child will be 2 soon. I am NOT considering removing the baby gates right now, but I am just wondering. I don't know if there is a set age or when a child is ready, if they will show certain clues.

My child can climb over them. I just bought three extra tall ones from Kohls today, but is this normal? Lol. My child is definitely a little climber, but I had no idea that climbing over baby gates was something he could do yet. Scared the crap out of me!

There's two sets of stairs in our house. He does try and walk up them solo, but has never tried to go down them. What clues/signs do I look for? He's been walking since he was 10 months, if that matters. He also tries to hold the stair rail, but when climbing up the stairs he still gets into a crawling position and works his way up.

Anyway, advice is appreciated. Thanks

I am NOT looking for hurtful or rude advice. Please keep it civil.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took mine down when they could crawl over them. It was just too dangerous at that point because of where the gates were. At 2 they are plenty old enough to start walking with you holding a hand up and down stairs. My youngest was a mega climber. He began climbing out of his crib (over the END!) at 8 months old. Mattress was ALL the way down. I stupidly thought if I put one gate on top of the other he couldn't , or wouldn't try to climb over. The next thing I see is his butt going over the TOP of the top gate. No more. He slipped a time or two..but it really didn't take him much to master the stairs. He was 15 months.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• How do you take them off though at that age? It just seems entirely too young for me. His legs are way too short to actually walk up the stairs right now, but I can't take him with me to the restroom or to go cook. (He's not allowed in the kitchen, especially not when the stove is on)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Believe me I would have loved to have left them up. When he was going over them faster than I could get there there wasn't any point. On the other hand it never occured to my oldest to climb out of or over anything. Never once did he attempt to get out of his crub or his playpen. Never once over a gate. They are all so different. At 4 I could keep my oldest ot of a room just with a gate. It shouldn't surprise you my youngest grew up to be an adrenaline junkie. He's a Firefighter/EMT. Rock Climbs, BASE jumps, sky diving, hang gliding..it's enough to make you crazy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My daughter will be 3 in July and all though she can do the steps on her own (with me right there), I still have the gates up at the top and bottom of the steps. I will leave them up until I feel completely secure with her going up and down them by herself, but for now...I don't. She has the rest of her life to go up and down on her own...for now, the gates stay up. Also, the gates work well for my dogs too.....so the gates me actually be permanent.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i took the gates at the steps down around 18 months - my LO had them mastered very well without help and had figured out she could squeeze through the banister to get around the gate.. We walked at 10 months and were holding onto the railing and stepping up the steps around 12 months (still turn and go backward down) At 2.5 years we have an extra tall one still on her bedroom just to keep her in there for nap/quiet time and bedtime.

Try taking the gate down and doing stairs with them, so they're more comfortable.
    handsfreemom

Answer by handsfreemom at 1:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I am not okay with taking the gates down. Our home is three story and after talking it over with my husband, neither of us think it's a good idea right now. There's just too many stairs in this house.

Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011