Gossip is breaking my heart

How can I let go of the things that are said about my family at our (very) small school? There is so much mean gossip being spread around, and for no reason! The school is just a morass of political crazy codependence--yet I cannot stand how horrible I feel in my stomach every time I hear a new rumor. Kids can be so sneaky mean--but adults are even worse. Any thoughts on this would help--I just feel so angry and sad and defenseless...

lauriebeth

Asked by lauriebeth at 8:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• Move away...
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Would you be able to stand up and speak your mind against the gossip. Maybe just letting them know you aren't comfortable listening to or hearing it might have a small impact on them. Most of us couldn't do that, but rather than move away this might be easier?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have no advice for you, only sympathy. I know that gut-wrenching feeling when you hear gossip about yourself, and its degrading and hurtful. I often envy people who can just let that kind of stuff go and not care about what other people think. Even as an adult, I'm sensitive to that kind of stuff as a result of being bullied when I was in school. I used to think kids in school are mean, but I'm learning that its people in general..some people are just MEAN, and I will never understand the need to ruin someones life with words and rumors and hurtful things. I could think of a million better things to do with my time then try to bring someone else and their family down. Sorry your dealing with this, and best of luck to you dear.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Wait until you are around a good chunk of the ones spreading and hearing the gossip and set it straight. Stand up for yourself. Let them know you aren't gonna put up with it. Make the ones who started and keep spreading the rumors sooo embarrassed they can't stand it.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 8:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I sorry you have to go through this. Some people can be real mean. Just hold your head up high to show their gossip will not effect you. They might then stop. Good luck.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011