How did you or someone you know quit smoking?

My SO is sort of trying to quit. He says it is really hard but this is like his 3 time trying to quit.

jgreene92

Asked by jgreene92 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Health

• Chantix....it works soooo well for me and prob 10 people I know. The prescription is kinda expensive if you insurance doesnt cover but no more than cigarettes. I've been cig free for a year on May 1 and i had tried about 3-4 times before that and couldn't.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 8:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My husband stopped cold turkey when I was pregnant with our first son. Has not smoked again in 3 years. Everyone is different though I wish you guys Good luck.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I know three people who have quit and been successful with hypnotism. I do not smoke but I saw it work for them. My childhood friend quit by keeping her hands busy. She realized the appeal was more about keeping her hands busy rather than the nicotine. She always had a rubber band or stress ball in her hands. She has not smoked in several years now. Everyone else I know who has quit did it cold turkey. Good luck to your SO!!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You have to relearn how to deal with life's emotions and situations. I think that was the hardest part of quitting. But what I did was reward myself every time I handled a situation without a smoke. Start running/walking too.
    Anonymous

• i quit the day I found out i was pregnant which was june 12. my baby is four wks old and i don't want one and hope i never do. my hubby quit when i found out too.. cold turkey's the best way i think.
    robinclements86

Answer by robinclements86 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i cut down each day till it was zero! the hardest thing was trying not reached for a cig everytime i got stressed or mad
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I use to smoke cigarettes, but I stopped cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant (Never a better reason to quit =) and I have never smoked since.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Everyone is different. But what Anon said....retraining thoughts, routines, everything is the key to quitting successfully.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 9:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011