Can i have one drink while nursing?

my baby is four weeks and nurses every couple hours there are some mike's hard lemonade margaritas in the fridge and they look good Lol if i drank One would it hurt

robinclements86

Asked by robinclements86 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't nurse for at least 24 hours if you have one. Pump and dump. Give baby your reserve.....otherwise don't do it.....just walk away.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• thanks! i don't want one bad enough to do that ya know? they do look good tho lol
    robinclements86

Comment by robinclements86 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• There are these strips you can buy to test the alcohol level in your milk. I would suggest investing in those. And no, one drink while nursing isn't bad and you don't have to go 24 hours between nursing. Check out kellymom.com, it's great for breastfeeding information (that link will take you directly to the page about alcohol, if I copied the right link).

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• These are the strips I was talking about.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• JMO,but I wouldn't put anything into my body that could potentially harm my child. Just not worth the risk

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• thank u!
    robinclements86

Comment by robinclements86 (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• There seems to be a lot of nay-sayers here, but I've nursed 6 kids and they are all healthy. My understanding is that if you are sober enough to walk steadily and to safely hold your baby then nursing is fine. Some very small amounts of alcohol will go into your milk, but it will be far less than the concentration in your blood, which is FAR less than the concentration in the drink you have. My advice: Go for it!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i asked my lactaion specialist and she said you can have a couple without having to pump and dump but once you go past the point of "just a little tipsy" so "oh my i'm feeling it" then you need to pump and dump. it's okay just know your limit.
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It's fine. 1-2 drinks are fine, depending on how you feel. Anything more then 1-2 drinks, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again, but after just 1 or 2, you can nurse when you need to. Pump/dump is a waste of time, energy and MILK! Only pump if you will need to keep up supply for a missed feeding, otherwise, it's not going to get alcohol out of your milk any faster. Alcohol leaves your milk as it does your blood, and only time can make it happen.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Also, just a word about the strips that were referred to. A mom in the Breastfeeding Moms group here tried one, just for kicks, while pregnant and obviously she hadn't had any alcohol, yet her milk tested positive. I think they're a waste of money.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2011