Not enough African-Americans are smart enough to pass, so let's let the flunkies in?

In Dayton Ohio, you can get the same as a D or F on the police exam and still become a cop. The Department of Justice Civil Rights Division run by Tom Perez,  is requiring Dayton to lower police exam scores to 58 and 63 percent so enough black applicants can join the force.

The local NAACP disagrees: “‘The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,’ agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.”

The national NAACP? Agrees with the DoJ. Do you agree with DoJ?

http://abc.daytonsnewssource.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wkef_vid_6103.shtml

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think the DoJ should be tellling cities, counties or states what to accept for a test score. Way over-reaching IMO
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Kind of sad.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I live in Dayton, had no idea about this. Is that why we have so much crime? I mean I'm all for equal rights, always have been, with any race/gender/sexual orientation. But passing a test is passing a test.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No one should lower the standards for anyone. Come on people! a job of that nature requires someone with intelligence and common sense. I don't think lowering the standards for those tests will help anyone when you call 911 and you can't get the right help you need.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Used to live in the city of Dayton, still own 2 homes there... This is a disgrace... The people of the city deserve better than a dumbed down system.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Blacks are just as smart as white people why is he lowering it just for black people?

Anonymous

• I think that a higher standard of ethics should be in place. While they are trying to make sure race isn't being used as a way to discriminate, the way they are going about it is jeopardizing the safety of the people they serve. What if we did that with doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc. I guess that might almost be better because people have some choice over who they see in that circumstance!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

Because apparently blacks aren't as smart as white people according to the test scores.

Bring on the vote downs!

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Arg unbelieveable!

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Oy. Research has not shown any difference in innate intelligence between the different "races". There are many factors involved here, and it has a lot more to do with environment (nurture) rather than nature. Kids are tired when they have to get up at 5:00 a.m. to take a bus or go to a babysitter's because mom has nobody to help her get the kids to school so she can go to work. Kids who don't get enough to eat don't do as well at school. A stressful environment (like a violent neighborhood or gang presence) can make it difficult to concentrate on studying. Some kids need to work to supplement the household income, which leaves less time for studying. I don't deny that there are some who make poor choices, but it is unfair to lable an entire ethnic group as "dumb".

OP, I am not in favor of lowering test scores. There are other ways to help, like tutors. I'm a nurse, and I had to pass a board exam. Lives are at stake.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011