• In the Spotlight:

Is it terrible my baby is starting to sleep w/me?

my five yr old slept w/me from birth until last yr. i had no problem w/it at all. i have a four wk old i was determined to have her NOT sleep w/us but ONLY cuz i have heard of a baby fallin out and suffocatin and it terrifies me. i never even thought bout it w/my son tho.. about a wk ago i fell asleep on my side nursing her. its happened several times and she has gotten used to bein w/us in the bed. i do not mind it I guess what im askin is am I terrible for risking something happening?

robinclements86

Asked by robinclements86 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter slept with my every night til she was 2 months old, when I transferred her to her crib. Every once in awhile, she'll sleep with me. There are a lot of precautions about suffocation and rolling over, but nothing's gone wrong when I do it. It's a personal choice.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Your not terrible but i would highly suggest you not do it for safety reasons that you already acknowledge. I had a close call once & after that i decided to never do it again.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 8:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• thanks! my husband is a hard sleeper. i wouldn't let her sleep besides him. but i pushed my bed against the wall i would hate myslf forever if something happened. i am goin back to work in 2 wks and i just got a feelin im gonna give in and keep her in my bed cuz she sleeps all night if she is w/me.
    robinclements86

Comment by robinclements86 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have had both of mine in the bed with me (not at the same time) and my husband is a hard sleeper to. Just stay in the middle or get one of those co-sleepers. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong. My three year old slept with me until she was 10 months old. And now, I have a three week old that sleeps with me too. I tried to have her sleep in her bassinet, and she kept waking up. I need to sleep too, so everybody sleeps when she is in bed with me.
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 8:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Bedsharing done safely reduces the risk of sids, as long as it is done responsibly it is actually safer.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have always co-slept, but the fact that you fell asleep nursing would worry me. I have always sat up in bed to nurse, and it is harder to fall asleep that way. I would just try to find a way to minimize the possibility that you could fall asleep like that again, but that doesn't necessarily mean giving up cosleeping all together.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i wouldn't keep her in ur bed i would cosleep which means get a basinett or something that is close to u that she can still be in the same room just not in the bed with u, and when u nurse the baby then lay her in bed with u but put baby back in the other bed.
    with my oldest he never even slept in our room because we lived in a small apartment and his room was close to ours so we could here him even with out baby monitors (we still used them) with my second son he slept in our room in a basnite next to our bed, and when he turned 2months we moved him in our spare room to get him used to not being in our room anymore, and when he turned 4months and slept through the night we moved him upstairs and put the monitor on to here him if he were to wake up. he is 5months old now and is in his bed and sleeps through the night
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 10:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• thank u everyone!
    robinclements86

Comment by robinclements86 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i put her to sleep in her bassinet then aftr a couple hours winds up w/me. if i try and put her back in she squirms and cries how do i get her to stay asleep
    robinclements86

Comment by robinclements86 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011