My daughter is pregnant and wants to use Renee as the middle name because her cousin, Renee died at 5 yrs old in a house fire many years ago. do you think

this willl hurt the parents feelings or will they feel honored? It was 30 yrs ago.

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 9:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Baby Names

• The best advice I can give is to ask the parents of the child that passed. I was going to name my first dd's middle name Marie, because that was my best friend's middle name, but I changed it to Nicole. I really regret that decision because Shayla passed away a year ago to cancer, I wish I would have gave LO her middle name too, and not nicole, because nicole is the name of the girl her father cheated on me with......

i think ur dd should take the name, but in respect of her parents, i would ask
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think they would feel honored, but she should talk to them about it first just in case. In my family e always name after someone we admire and ant to honor. I think it is the greatest gift.

:D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I say honored. When I was pregnant, I didn't know the sex of the baby. If it were a girl, we wanted to name her after a close family to us little girl that died when she was 2. They were so happy. It brought tears to the mothers eyes, but she was really looking forward to a baby girl named after her daughter. Well, we didn't have a girl but you get the picture...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Ask them,but I would be honored
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My mom's first child (a son) died at 8 months old and years later my cousin gave her son my brother's first and middle name. my mom was very upset. she said no one could take Donnie's place and now it is a constant reminder of her dead baby. That's why i am asking. it looks like people think it's ok though. The second Donnie turned out B A D. That really didnt set well with my mom.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I say your daughter is the one naming the baby, so it is her decision. Even if the family didn't like it, there isn't much they could do. I think it'd be silly for them to get upset about it, but you never know with some people.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Your mom has issues. Seriously, they were trying to do a nice thing. No one said they wanted her kid to take your brother's place. She needs to grow up. How does she know that her own son wouldn't have been worse than the younger Donnie?? Her daughter should name the kid what she wants. Do you think the lost child is the only Renee in the world?
    Anonymous

• first of all smart@#!! my daughter ask me to ask the question and second my mom does not have issues. she is entitled to her opinion and you hurt my feelings very badly. I love my mom and why did you have to say that. does that make you feel good? you hid behind anonymous. if you are so right why did you do that. I guess my brother wouldn't have turned out worse since the 6 of us others turned out college educated , good jobs and kind caring people. (unlike some people). I really feel sorry for you. You must have had a bad upbringing to be so mean. God Bless and the baby isn't a kid it is a child. kids go baaaabaaaa
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011