What should I do about my 3 year old? adult content

She will be 4 in May and will be starting pre-k soon. We've been having a lot of problems with her behavior recently. Not listening. I will have to ask her to do something 7 times before she even starts to do it. She get's distracted very easily. Even if she is doing something she LOVES. She CAN NOT sit through a movie. And if I (or anyone else) try to disiplin her (sit her in the corner or on the couch) she will try to hit whoever is doing it. And it's usually hard for her to follow simple instructions like "Get your sippy off the table and hand it to daddy".

I just caught her using the potty and she peed on her finger and then licked it. Her biological father has ADHD and I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was 14 but I haven't really shown any signs of it in about 5 or 6 years and I haven't taken medication for it for longer than that. So I don't know if I even really had it to begin with.

I'm just worried she has something mentally wrong with her but I don't want to try to ask the doctor's about it and them diagnose her with something only to find out later, they were wrong and she was just a normal 3 year old.

PLEASE HELP!

Oh and she lies, a lot. We've tried the little video's where the characters tell her lying is bad and why. We've explained it outselves.. But she still lies. Like, one night she asked for a movie to watch before bed. I put one on for her and told her after it went out, I was turning the tv off and she had to go to sleep. When it was over, I turned the tv off and she started screaming and crying. When I asked her what was wrong, she told me I was mean and she didn't love me anymore because I threw the controller at the tv and busted it....??????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter fights about going in the corner...she looses... I'm bigger. With my daughter it took spot on consistency to get her to realize i mean it. Never make a threat you are not 100% prepared and able to follow through on. If she acts up in the store we leave. If she doesn't listen she doesn't get what she wants. And I have had days where she looses all her toys and has to earn them back with good behavior.

I am not sure about the potty thing but it could have just been curiosity. If it becomes a habit then I would just tell her thats not a good idea it's yucky.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If you can find a GOOD child psychologist, you might make an appointment for yourself just to get acquainted and talk about your daughter. 3 year olds do have selective hearing, so it could just be that. My gs is 4 now and rarely sits through anything except cars. Kids are very strange about how they explore things. Did you ask her about licking her finger? She could bd adhd, but it doesn't really sound like BP. Does she have rages? My gs will hit too, and I just hold his hands for a while, talk with him about the behavior and then tell him I will let him go IF he behaves. It does work sometimes. I really wish I had your addie, I have dealt with both BP and ADHD, but anymore, psychiatrists don't diagnose kids as much. it's good and bad. Good luck, write me if you want.
    GiGito1SoFar

Answer by GiGito1SoFar at 9:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• This is NOT normal behavior that will be outgrown. I would definitely be concerned. However, if you go to the pediatrician or psychologist, you are going to just end up with a prescription. Doesn't sound like that's what you are looking for here. Without going into a long story, DS had severe behavior issues, which were only fixed when we removed the additives from his environment. His biggest trigger was red bubble bath! We used the Feingold program: Feingold is an elimination program/diet which cuts out artificial dyes, flavors, sweeteners and petroleum based preservatives (BHA, BHT, TBHQ) and possibly some foods. ┬áMore information at www.feingold.org.
    DrRama

Answer by DrRama at 1:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would talk to her doctor and see what they say and see if she needs to be tested. Maybe talk to a therapist to see if they think there is under line problem and see what they say might help
    shadowia

Answer by shadowia at 11:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would start by talking to her doctor and see what they suggest and then go from there
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2011