What would you do in this situation? I am furious and don't know how to deal!

SO here it is....about a year and a half ago a mutual friend of ours (I have know since high school, my S/O worked with him) asked if my S/O and I could hold onto his flat screen tv for him when he was evicted. We said okay. Around the same time we lent him somewhere around 80 dollars. He agreed to pay back the money before we'd give the tv back. Kind of like collateral. We also told him we wanted to buy it from him but I refuse to pay him anything when he still owes us 80 dollars.Well now a year and a half later he calls and leaves a message on my voice mail saying he needs his tv back so he can sell it for money to get to school and live. He said he wants to hawk it. Well he wouldn't even get 80 bucks total so he wouldn't be able to pay us if we gave it to him. I do not feel we should have to be screwed out of 80 bucks and the only collateral we have from him just because he decides that since it was over a year ago he doesn't owe it anymore. I said pay us the 80 and we will give it back OR we will pay the difference over 80 what its worth. Anyone ever get stuck in a similar situation? What did you do or what would you do if this happened to you?

LeeLeeMarie

Asked by LeeLeeMarie at 9:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• If he doesn't owe the $80 because it has been over a year, then you don't have to give his tv back. He abandoned it after all. And should have to pay storage fees too. I would tell him hen he pays you $10 a month for storage fees and the $80 he can have it back.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Ithink he has used you guys he has no money i think give him back his t.v. and cut him out of your life he will always have money problems and issuses just be done don't his phone calls or listen to his stories.Good luck.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 9:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't give him the TV without the money. But the question is... is this person desperate enough that he would break in and take it. Because sometimes it's not worth the drama.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Call a lawyer and get their advice. I think you may be able to keep it because of the agreement terms set forth by him.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'd have written a contract saying if he didn't pay it within a certain amount of time the $80 would be applied to the purchase price (in full). That's water under the bridge now though but I'd keep it and let him take me to Small Claims Court.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would just save the headache, fight, and stress and just give it back. But like Betutah said just cut him out of your life!
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 9:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If you do decide to give him back the flat screen, have him sign an IOU for th $80 that he borrowed from you. Draw up the terms (including interest, starting today) and a time limit. Make sure that you put in there that if this matter is taken to court because he defaults on the loan, all of the court fees (including lawyers) will be paid for by HIM.

Get a photocopy of his driver's license and put it on the agreement.

Good Luck!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I agree with Goody. But you cannot charge him for storage unless it was agreed on BEFORE.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• See if you can come to an agreement to buy the TV, be sure to obtain a signed receipt (even if handwritten) or just give the TV back to him.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thanks you all for your help and advice. It was very helpful to get some input. My S/O and I are going to talk things through with him and try to buy it from him and take the $80 off the amount both sides agree its worth. Hopefully we can work it out. Either way After all is said and done I will be cutting him out of our lives. This is not the only thing we have dealt with so I am done. He can go find someone else to beg off of and cry to about his money problems or maybe he will get a life and get a JOB! AGAIN....THANK YOU ALL! Will keep posted on the results :)
    LeeLeeMarie

Comment by LeeLeeMarie (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2011