I know this is a stupid question and you're as sick of seeing it as i am, but..

how do i know the difference between contractions and gas pains? and if it is contractions, how do i tell if its practice or real?
im not due til the first. and my last labor was induced so i don't really know what the beginning feels like

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 9:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Early labor DOES feel like indigestion, heartburn and/or gas pains. The only way to tell is to time the pains. If they come at regular intervals, it's likely labor. Either way, you'll know in a couple hours. Gas pain tends to improve after a while; labor pains intensify and begin to come closer together.
    SnowLepp

Answer by SnowLepp at 9:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• The difference between gas and contractions is that conractions involve muscle. It feels like you're tightening your ab muscles, like to do a sit-up, but you can't voluntarily release them.

As for whether it's "the real thing": regularity and consistency. "Real" contractions will keep coming no matter what you do, usually closer together and worse the farther in you get. I've also been told that a key point is that you usually can't talk through a "real" contraction. There are the rare few who go into labor and don't figure it out until they're about ready to push, but generally speaking...if you have to ask, it's probably not "real", or at least not progressed enough yet.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• the early labor felt like menstrual cramps to me. and they just getting stronger and hurt like crazy, i think you will know the difference when it happens.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Try to fart and if you can't then it is a contraction.
    Just kidding. I had a hard time with this too, but when you are in active labor you can tell the difference, because for one thing, they are pretty evenly spaced.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I had back labor with my second child and I knew immediately when it started. My water breaking and beginning labor were not simuitaneous. Labor can start out very mild and it will feel like you have gas or an upset tummy. As it progresses, the pains will hurt more and they will become more regular. Usually when they are a few minutes apart they say to go to the hospital or when your water breaks whichever is first. I wish you a very normal labor and delivery. I also hope you do not have back labor. No one should have to have that.
    GiGito1SoFar

Answer by GiGito1SoFar at 10:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Contractions feel like MONSTROUS, HORRIBLE, menstral cramps. Gas just leaves a sour feeling in your tummy. If you are feeling the pains on and off and in a consistant order you should probably go to the hospital for a little check-up:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• keep an eye on it. If they continue it may be labor
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Early labor felt more like period cramps to me than gas.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• what about the start of back labor? it was predicted that i have that (but i really hope not)
    ilovemymonsterr

Comment by ilovemymonsterr (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Still regularity and consistency for back labor. The type and intensity of pain might be different, but it will still come at regular intervals, with those intervals steadily decreasing and intensity steadily increasing.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2011