My 13-month old won't eat!

He's ALWAYS been a great eater, but this week he's just started throwing all his food on the floor, and isn't even finishing his bottles. He isn't teething, and he isn't sick. Is it just a behavioral thing, or should I try something else to get him to eat???

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 2:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my little girl is going thruogh a similar thing , she is just picking at food and then launching it across the room, mind you she is launching every thing across the room at the moment , especially when she doesnt get her own way . Just try him on different food may be he is bored eating the same stuff like we as adults get bored from time to time .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Don't worry, they'll eat when they are hungry :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:53 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• There are SO many phases that our little ones go through! As long as you've determined that he's not sick, then it is probably just a "phase". Maybe he's thrilled with the idea that he can throw food? My little guy is a PIG but if can get away with it, he will throw stuff just to do it. Also, yes, they do get bored with food sometimes. My kids have all stopped eating thier favorites at times and we have to try other things. Are you sure he's not getting any new molars in? Or maybe thrush on his tounge (sometimes hard to spot but it can be uncomfortable and cause a child to reject food or bottles)? Good luck!
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• If you're sure he's not sick, I wouldn't worry. He'll eat when he's hungry! My youngest normally actually eats almost double what my other son does. Today though, he barely ate anything. Threw everything I gave him on the floor. I kept offering food, just in case, but no interest. He went to bed happily and we'll try again tomorrow! Just keep offering the food, maybe try different things you know he likes.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Don't worry about it. There will be days when all you see go in that little mouth is 1 cup of juice and 2 goldfish crackers. Then there will be other days when anything and everything is eaten. That's why it is so important that everything you offer is healthy - so when next to nothing goes down the hatch, it's a healthy "next to nothing".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My son is 17 months old and has always been fussy about eating. When I feed him I give him something to play with that will take his mind off of eating. I have special toys that he plays with during feeding time. He would rather play then eat. This has worked well for us.
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 2:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My daughter is doing the same thing! Thanks for asking this question. I just keep telling myself she won't starve to death if I keep offering her food.
    Mom2vanna

Answer by Mom2vanna at 3:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2008