I don't feel like going to look, but what's all this talk about the moon?

i keep seeing posts on FB about a ring being around it? people are freaking out, but im too lazy to go check it out

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Just for Fun

• "The ring around the Moon is caused by the refraction of Moonlight (which of course is reflected sunlight) from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. The shape of the ice crystals results in a focusing of the light into a ring. Since the ice crystals typically have the same shape, namely a hexagonal shape, the Moon ring is almost always the same size. Less typical are the halos that may be produced by different angles in the crystals. They can create halos with an angle of 46 degrees....
    Folklore has it that a ring around the moon signifies bad weather is coming... The ice crystals that cover the halo signify high altitude, thin cirrus clouds that normally precede a warm front by one or two days. Typically, a warm
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• IDK -first I have heard of it-Ill check it out...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• WOW! she just said a mouthful. lol I didnt know either so that was a great question. now more people will know. thanks for asking
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 9:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• well i meant does it look weird, not why does it haha but that works too, thans abusybee!!!!! kinda cool to know though.
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm glad to find out
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 1:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011