Braces or no braces?

Took my 12 y/o dd to the dentist last week, and she has a baby tooth that is working itself out, but the adult tooth is showing on the x-ray being crocked. This tooth is upper 3rd from the molar, or by the jaw where no one sees it. This new tooth is also smaller than the baby tooth, and will leave a gap. My question is, should I allow her to get braces to straigten at tooth that is not seen, or do I spend upteen dollars and chance messing up her other teeth? I need opinions, my family seems to think that she don't need them, and we are looking at at least 6 months before we will know for certian. But would love to hear from you guys. Thank you for your time.

djh0505

Asked by djh0505 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sometimes these things have a tendency to straighten themselves out... I personally would give it a bit of time, just to see what happens. I had a tooth that was like that and it ended up straightening itself out without braces....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If it's purely cosmetic, I would skip it, personally. She can do it herself later on if she decides she wants perfectly straight teeth.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm not a dentist, but I'd give it some time to work out before you make a decision. My sisters teeth were JACKED when she was this age (LOTS of random gaps and differently sized teeth), but by 17 they evened out QUITE a bit. THEN she got braces, once her teeth had aligned themselves more.

But, if she does need braces, get them. I have very crooked teeth with a canine that never descended properly (snaggletooth). I am MORTIFIED by my teeth now as an adult. They're embarrassing, and I can't wait until I can afford braces to fix them.
    LadyMommaDukes

Answer by LadyMommaDukes at 9:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Depends...what else is going on in her mouth? Will she do what is necessary to take care of her teeth while she has braces? NOT eating certain foods, brushing, etc? Do you have approximately $5000 to pay for braces? If it's cosmetic, no I would wait and let her decide. My son's isn't cosmetic and I still haven't gotten him braces, because I can NOT afford the cost. No dental insurance and I barely make enough to survive so braces are just not in the picture at this time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• One crooked tooth could affect other teeth around it. My SD had one tooth kind of like what you are describing in the front... It made all the teeth next to it come in at an angle, too, to where the tooth looked like this --> / . She needed braces, and has them right now.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I put both my boys into braces early due to over bites and there mouths were too crowded for the teeth to come in straight. My 12 year old is ready for his second set for this same reason. He has an eye tooth that isn't coming through because he has no room for it, and his other eye tooth is coming out from the top of the gums instead of the bottom. I'd rather fix them now while they are younger because the bone isn't fully formed, (so moving early is easier and the teeth stay in place when completed). My oldest got his braces off in 2008 and hasn't had a retainer for two years with no shifting. I had braces at 34 without my retainer my teeth do shift. It is expensive so I'd be sure to see the xrays and cause and effect of this tooth on her mouth as a whole. If its not going to impact other teeth, mouth structure or care of her teeth, I would probably not do it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• teeth move around alot, so I woud wait awhile till the tooth is out and see what it does, it may move into place, some teeth push others around and some move on their ow, so just wait and see.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If it's cosmetic, and can afford it, I'd do it. I'd go back and ask the doctor more questions
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• We are about to put braces on my 12 yr old. He has a couple of teeth that came in crooked...one of them kept moving and is now almost backwards! It's movement has pushed all of his front teeth together..they were straight before.

I would suggest a consult with an orthodontist....but not until after the tooth is already in.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011