Military Pagans...

I posted a question on Yahoo Questions (as I have here) asking that everyone send me their Questions for Pagans for future Q&A posts on my blog... This is a part of what I got...

"Why do Pagans and Wiccans shun and despise military Pagans and Wiccans? I'm a military Pagan and everytime I attend a large event or gathering, my fellow Pagans give me the cold shoulder, even going as far as to make disparaging remarks to my face. Other military Pagans that I know tell of similar experiences so I know it's not just me.
"So what do you do for a living? Poet, writer, arts and crafts? Oh how wonderful!" "Oh, you're military? Boo, hiss, BABYKILLING MONSTER!" (yeah a woman at a Pagan gathering really did scream this in my face after discovering that I'm military)."

I have to say I was rather shocked by this answer, and quite appalled. So my question really is, has anyone noticed this "hate towards military Pagans?" and does anyone understand the beliefs surrounding it?

Share your thoughts please... This is totally new to me and I would like to do some research on the beliefs and feelings on both sides of this subject. I think it would make a wonderful topic.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know what to say to this. I've never seen such disrespect given from Pagans to Pagans in the military. I don't know if this is due to being in a military town with a strong local and active Pagan presence or what. One of the local and very public drum circles cater to and relies on the Pagan military and often serves as a home away from home. I'm appalled that anyone who react that way to our military.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm honestly not sure if I am more appalled at the fact that anyone would treat our military this way or that the people doing it claim to be Pagan...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think the Paganism is a condition of the attitude, I think the message is customized based on the religions involved. The people with that mindset have it whether they're dealing with a Pagan, Christian, Muslim or Atheist, they just tailor it to fit - how can a Pagan do no harm and be military, how can a Christian love thy neighbor, etc etc. At the root of it is a person who is quite leftist and anti-military, regardless of who the person in the military is. They'd spew the same abuse no matter what religion they or the person they're dealing with were.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

***

At the root of it is a person who is quite leftist and anti-military, regardless of who the person in the military is.

--

Both are pretty bad IMO.

You can be on the 'left', but still support soldiers. I am a liberal, but I've always thought we should support our soldiers. I know other liberals who feel the same way. Both my parents are ex-military (I was born on a military base), and many members of my family are or were in various branches of military. You can support the soldier and support the person without agreeing with every military action they have to do. It's their job to do it even if I sometimes disagree with the decision of someone above them. We should support them IMO, and whatever their views there's no reason for them to be hateful to military pagans.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I agree with pam19, wholeheartedly! I consider myself a leftist or a least liberal leaning. I support our soldiers. Frankly they don't get enough support as it is! But to blame them for orders and foreign policy that is beyond their control is stupidity at best. Soldiers are doing their job as best they can. It's a job, a calling and a duty to serve for the country and for that I am grateful that they are willing to serve. There is no reasonable reason to hate our military much less military Pagans.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I am mostly left wing and I definately support our military. I am not saying that I have not encountered Pagans who are not supportive and of course I tell them right damn quick that if it were not for the military we would not have the freedoms we enjoy today. Heck I have seen Pagans shun transgenders from public rituals because they are not woman enough. So yea, we have a few who I want to sit down and have a nice long chat with. There are not many but we do have very few who embarass us.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm not a pagan myself, but growing up my mom was kind of a hippie, and I grew up in a community of hippies, food co-ops and new age or pagan people, which I loved.Though these people were very peaceful and loving, they were anti-war, which unfortunately sometimes turns into anti-military. They would go to the large city in the state and protest different things the military was doing at the time, holding signs calling them baby killers, these were more geared at the government, but I probably wouldn't have been surprised if they would say it to a soldiers face.

l.o.v.e

Answer by l.o.v.e at 4:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I am a Wiccan and Witch- I am not "pro-military". I do not agree with a lot of what the military in the US has done or offered. I do not appreciate the mentality of many of our soldiers. However, I know many veteran Pagans and they are all wonderful people that joined for the right reasons and made the best of it that they could and I am proud of them and I am proud to know them.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Although not all Pagans are pacifists, many still are.  Especially the older "Hippy" Pagans. 

Also many confuse being "anti-war" with being "anti-military". 

Then there's those who cannot sepperate the Armed Forces from the "Christian Right".  And since *most* Pagans (I know) lean to the left...

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There is a book you should read The Wiccan Warrior by Kerr Cuhulain. It explains the often overlooked part of the religion.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 10:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011