Out of Formula for 9 month old...any overnight suggestions till our store opens in the morning?

Daughter stayed overnight at last minute instead of driving home in dark...lots of deer and over an hour away with her 9 month old. I don't need people accusing us of anything and I don't need people coming on 'yelling' at me to go get formula 30 miles away. He'll be fine with water for his morning bottle till the store opens, but IF he'd wake up, wondering if anyone has ever used dry milk or something? Just as a just in case in the middle of the night? THANK YOU for being kind...I found other sites where a similar question was asked and the poor lady was attacked.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We are talking maybe one bottle here. Give him regular milk, warmed as a bottle of formula would be and I am betting he will be fine. Unless he has a history of allergies to other foods, one time is not going to be a problem, in my opinion.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Has the baby had any juices yet? Water down some apple juice and hopefully your baby will fall back to sleep with binky.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 9:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Milk is not going to hurt the baby for just one night. Goodness, there are some really "know it all moms" on here tonight. But do be prepared for some tummy upset. May not happen, but could. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I guess I should've said he DOES sleep through the night....he might just wake up in the middle wanting something since he's not in his own bed. So seriously...him having JUST WATER is not a big deal as he doesn't normally have that nutriion boost at night. He ate a good supper and had an evening bottle already. I just kind of wondered what would be a good sub. if he doesn't want the water..... dry milk/reg. milk.....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My first choice would be juice mixed half and half with water. Otherwise some milk wont hurt.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• ANON: I gave him 2% milk starting at 8 months WITH doctors consent. Not diluted, straight. I also mixed his cereal with 2% milk when he started at 2 weeks old, again WITH doctor's consent. My son has NO allergies, diabetes, etc. He is not overweight. As well as the milk my son was getting at 8 months old, he was on ALL tablefood and getting all the nutrients he needed. He was and has always been a very healthy child. Some babies can handle food earlier than others, every child is different.

OP: try the regular milk, if you are worried, page the doctor and ask if it's ok to give the baby milk because of being out of formula.

You do know that the guidelines are RECOMMENDATIONS?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think he's too young for cow's milk. I was told by my pediatrician to give my 10 month old four ounces of water every day, so I'm not sure why water would be so awful. But it sounds like you may be worrying for nothing, even if he wakes in the night - he probably just needs some comforting, not food.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I know that I am in the medical field and that it's not right to do that. Every doctor has different opinions and recommendations but my stand point is my stand point. I wouldn't do that, I wouldn't advise my patients to do that, and I wouldn't suggest a stranger do that.

Mixing cereal with formula in the bottle? I really wish you parents knew the risks that you're bringing upon your own self and your children. Try doing the research, and then talk to me.
    Anonymous

• Juice for the night...or maybe some juice with oatmeal to keep him full...plus there are a lot of vitamins in the cereal.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Thanks to those who are giving actual helpful answers. Seriously....the baby is very, very healthy. One night without a bottle isn't going to harm him! We just wondered about alternatives others have used with no problems. Yes, he's had juice half and half, but his mom really hates giving him juice in a bottle...they use the sippee cup. We may just go to juice/water....just wondered if anyone had tried the milk for ONE bottle!!!!! Oh My....lol how people get so fanatical.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011