If you homeschool, how often do you deviate from your curriculum or plan to be able to utilize current events?

I know this week we have kind of fallen away from our original plans for science lessons in order to discuss the tsunami and earthquakes in Japan. I think that it makes it more interesting and "real" to the kids to be able to learn the science behind something they can actually see the results of in real life.

Next week we are planning to use a couple days to discuss the super moon.

We have taken time out for meteor showers, eclipses, tornadoes, the oil spill that happened close to our home (about 20 mins away from us in Marshall/Battle Creek, MI).

Honestly, I LOVE being able to make good on these opportunities to learn and run with their curiosities.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont home school, but I try to explain things like what your doing, as they happen as well, kids are so full of questions! :) Real life is a perfect opportunity to teach any subject realy!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think it would be great to homeschool and be able to do that.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2011