Adoption...

Hi ladies-
My husband and I have been discussing adoption for quite some time and I think we are ready to start the process, but I have read about it so many times and it seems very complex and that the agencies are not just up front with you. What kinds of things will keep us from being able to adopt? (obious things I know like child abuse charges, etc, but the small things??) How is the experience emotionally? We want another child (we have 3 of our own) and feel like God is really calling us to do this, but we also want to be informed and know what hurdles we will be jumping to get to it. Are you able to pick the age of the child? (Not that it matters I just can't find that information it just says you cannot pick the sex but can pick the race)

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 9:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Adoption

• I work for an adoption agency in Texas (placing CPS children in foster and/or adoptive homes). You can pick the age/sex/ethnicity. But the morelimitations you have -- the longer it may take to find a "certain" type child to adopt. Other than the obvious -- child or elderly abuse, there are a number of things that can stall or stop the process -- bad references, not able to afford one with just scraping by, some places require drug tests, not having high school or GED, not having enough living space in the bedroom and/or living room; not providing adequate fruits and veggies, not passing fire and health inspection, bad health, age .... the list goes on -- is there something specific your worries about?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No. I was just thinking I have everything set when we do decide to adopt, then started thinking well maybe I didnt get all the plastic covers in the outlets, and my back yard is still in the renovation process then started doubting my readiness I guess. I live in CO and read we cannot choose the sex which isnt a big deal.
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011