Suggestions on Baby exercises for upper body Strength?

My 5month old son sits up on his own and rolls over. He rolled over at 3 and half months and sat up on his own but leans forward to touch his toes for support at 4 and half months and now. He has very strong lower body strength and can bring his legs up in the crawling postion but his upper half will not go up with him. so when his legs are in the right position his upper body he tries to get up but ends up putting his legs back on the ground and again he is laying. he also can stand in his crib just holding on for like 2 seconds before he falls and he can walk with holding on to our hands.
But his upper body is so weak, and can't keep up with his lower half. I do sit ups with him. I also put him sitting and rattled a noisy toy so he has no choice but to move his upper body strength to see it.
He wants to get moving and he gets so frustrated when he sees a toy either his or his brothers and he can't get it. he also gets frustrated when he sees his brother playing and running and he cant.
Any suggestions on helping his upper body, his peds told me he will do it when he is good and ready and his upper half will catch up with his lower half. I mean i don't want to chase him around at 8months old but if i have to i will as long as he is happy

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 10:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just keep giving him lots of time on his tummy and as he keeps trying to move around those muscles will get used and he'll figure out how they are supposed to work. Your noisy toy idea is a good one, and getting him to want to reach for something would probably be helpful, too. You could try putting a little pillow or stuffed toy under his chest to kind of prop him up and maybe he would appreciate the new perspective and like it more. But perhaps that would be counterproductive if he then doesn't have to use his muscles as much to hold himself up.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011