Who is responsible?? Alcohol laws.

I understand it's the person's choice to drink, but what about when they are mentallly impaired and suffer from alcoholism?
Is it okay for a bar to deliver a bottle of booze, a large bottle, every day? He has injured himself on their property due to way too much to drink, fallen down stairs, broken his arm, head injuries, been found several times lying on the floor paralyzed from being drunk, and they keep bringing it to his home. We have asked them to cut back, or at least bring him food. They have done neither. We want them to stop because we are the one's who have to pick him up at the hospital, clean up after he soils himself from being drunk..the state says he's not their problem, so we have to deal with this. The doctor says he has officially hit liver failure. See, he forgets all the time. He doesn't realize that he just had a drink, so he keeps going. He doesn't believe he drinks a bottle a day. We know because he can't leave his house and we count the bottles and do his finances for him as well. We just want the bar to stop, or slow down. He really can't control it. Are they responsible for anything? Legal or not, I feel like they are taking advantage of his issues to make some money.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• If he is that incapacitated, who is giving him money?

It would seem that if he didn't have money to pay the bar, then they would stop delivering?

I don't really know what to tell you, maybe he needs to be put in a home where someone can monitor him 24/7 instead of living by himself.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• He's not broke. He's been disabled for years. He gets money from a few places. We each have a check book. We pay his bills, but we don't control his money. We have tried putting him in a home. He doesn't qualify out here. There is a waiting list on some apartments that would be better for him. But in the meantime, we are all babysitting him.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Have you tried calling the state about the laws? Each state has different requirements on how they issue liquer licenses. I would start there and find out if they are within the law or not.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I know that serving a known alcoholic in restaurant is actually illegal. I don't see why it would be any different in a situation like this.

I don't know if you could, but you could hold the bar liable or even call the authorities for providing alcohol to a known alcoholic. Based on what you wrote...I would assume the bar would know/realize that he is one...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 10:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yeah, I'm ordering the alcohol law book for our state to see if they are doing anything wrong. I know my bartender friends said that you can't serve someone who is blantantly drunk. Which he very much is all the time. And I think you may need a certain type of license to deliver as well. I just can't believe this is acceptable.. You'd have to be here to see what I mean. It's so bad. :(
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes the bar would know, he fell and broke his back after he had gotten so drunk at their bar he pissed himself. Another time he fell there and they had to call 911.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would then start by sending them a notarized with delivery confirmation letter stating that he is an alcoholic and everything else you have said, so you have proof that they have been told. Send and email too.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• That's a good idea! I've got to do something. I feel like if I let him drink himself to death, it would be wrong. He really can't manage it, and he can't help himself. He was a mild drinker before the major fall. Now he doesn't remember when he had a drink or not, so he keeps going..
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I hope you can find a solution.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was married to a DRUNK, with "Liver Failure", spent...

2 b-days with him in ICU with the DT's ?

When are YOU GOING TO WAKE UP ?

Send him back home to mama, and leave!!

You are BLAMING the wrong people .
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011