Would it annoy you if your ex got with a woman who wanted to play mommy to your child?

I get that you would want their significant other to be good to your child, but do you think they can cross the line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• This could never happen to me, but I gotta say I'm extremely annoyed by the women who date/marry men with kids, and then wonder why the man cares about their kid so much more than them (their perspective) and wind up being mean or hating the kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm sure they could cross the line, but if they end up getting married then there won't be much "playing" involved. She will be the child's step-mommy.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Well of course they could cross the line (as could anyone in many different situations). I would be glad that she wanted to be a mother figure towards my son as long as she didn't cross any boundaries. Just don't be petty about what those boundaries are.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• yeah , a line can be crossed , i'd probly want to kill
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'd go ballistic....... I am not sure I could handle it, literally.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• When I got married my stepdaughter six at the time insisted on calling me mom. i was totally uncomfortable with that since i didn't have any kids of my own and she had a very involved mother. She wouldn't call me by my name and ending up calling me Stepmom until i relented "okay you can call me Mom". It took awhile before I realized she was calling me. Ten years later She still calls me Mom.
    nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Annoyed would be an understatement. That woman would be venturing out to a lionness' territory. I would be very suspicious as to why she's so into "playing" mommy with my kids. If she's truly interested in kids, I proabbly still be steamming but suck it up and let my kids enjoy her company. but if there's ulterior motif and my kids are just pawns to her litle games, she better to be ready to have her head served on a platter.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• There are certain bounaries that shoul not be crossed but it is a thin line especially if it is a serious relationship an she may become the stepmother. You would then know she will be helping to parent your child while in the fathers care. I figure as long as shes not screaming at them all the time or hitting them its ok. As long as its love shes showing them.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I used to think that it would bother me... but when you get down to brass tacks about it... what's your pleasure; a woman who doesn't nurture your child and treats em like acquaintances at best, or a woman who is a nurturer, even if she gushes a little too much for your taste at times. I guess what I'm asking is which would you rather have for you child... a weekend without a mother's love or a weekend with a whole bunch of a mother's love? And think about your child - not yourself.... because honestly, we're talking about a feeling that's being born of jealousy... turn it around and think of it in terms of how much love you'd rather your child receive while they HAVE to be away from you.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would be happy to know that my child was being cared for when I wasn't there. My stepson has never called me mom but we have a very close bond and I treat him the same as if he was my own. I do think in the beginning the situation is uncomfortable for all involved.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011