What do you do when your child hits?

My DD is 2 yrs 8 months and I have a feeling we are either getting a late start on the terrible twos or a head start on the terrible threes, either way she is starting to act terrible! She hits ALL THE TIME!!! Even when she is just "playing". What can I do to redirect her and get her to quit?

MommaChittum

Asked by MommaChittum at 10:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just remove him from the situation and tell him we don't hit.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• time outs, loss of privileges for hitting, or try to explain to her that it's not nice and it hurts people first. I'm having the same issue with my 2 year old but he only hits when he knows he's already in trouble (heading to the time out chair/getting a toy taken away) and he pinches too! >.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• crouch down to their level, grab their hands to get attention and give stare down eye contact. "NO HITTING! OUCH, THAT HURTS!" ... my kids hitting phase was brief so that's all it took for me. some kids are biters, hitters, head bangers, etc. my kids were screamers... lol. slightly less painful.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My son is 20 months old, and when he hits I normally grab the hand just hit me with (because he normally hits multiple times in a row), and give him a real firm "NO, no hitting." He has slacked off a bunch, but hasn't fully quit yet, but hopefully if I keep consistent with it, he will quit. Oh and I'm usually at his level when I tell him this.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Thanks ladies! She is so head strong she beats the crap out of me when she is in time out. But I'm sticking with it. I thinking about starting a sticker chart. She will get a sticker for every day she doesn't hit (or something to that effect) she loves stickers so maybe it will help.
    MommaChittum

Comment by MommaChittum (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I stick my kids in the corner with their noses touching and keep em there for 2 min. when it comes to playing I have to remind them that even while playing hitting is not okay. I give them 2 warnings the third time is timeout time.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I take them out of the situation and explain to them why it is wrong. When they are calm, they then must apologize to whoever it is they hit.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• take their previliges away, no snack no cartoon, and no playing with toys . It workd with my little one
    beanspeanutmom

Answer by beanspeanutmom at 11:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't know I did all of those things with my child and he became very sumissive, but now I have trouble making him understand he has to defend himself. Now, he just cries whenever another child hits him but won't do anything about it. it makes me sad because I feel I have changed his personality =(
    paufonseca

Answer by paufonseca at 12:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• my son who is 17m will throw, hit, scream, and bite... i've tried all of this because hes done it since he was 10m, and i started with the firm no, taking the toy away and time out... and that made it a little better but he would still slap and bite, i finally had to resort to thumping his hand, not hitting because that would have told him he couldnt hit but mommy could. Now he hardly ever bites, slaps or flat out hits, were down to throwing things but its a vast improvement. He defends himself aginst other kids great too because whenever daddy is home he wrestles around with him. Just hang in there and do what your gut tells you, we all wonder if were doing it right but thats what makes us good parents! sometimes we just need one person to reasure us! good luck girl!
    thesouthernmom

Answer by thesouthernmom at 1:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2011