Babies

Is it normal for a two month old to only poop every two or three days?

katcb1019

Asked by katcb1019 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the infant is breast-fed, definitely not. They pretty much poop every time something goes in. Not sure about formula-fed infants, but I think 2-3 days sounds long. I mean even for adults, that's too long. Talk to your pediatrician
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Actually, after a couple months, it's completely normal for a breastfed baby to poop every couple days. When your baby poops is it hard and do they have a hard time or is it completely normal?
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• its a normal poop and she is breastfed. Ive never had this problem with my other two.Everything else is normal except she is a little gassier han my other two were.
    katcb1019

Comment by katcb1019 (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I read that breast fed babies sometimes poop only once or twice a week so I think it's normal, this baby might just have a little different system than your other children had at this age. They just absorb everything from the breast milk so there isn't a lot of waste, therefore there isn't a lot of poop. As long as the poop is normal and you have plenty of wet diapers everyday then I think all is well.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm with MaryMW ^^^
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Not neccissarily. Every child is different and some do have a extended cycle then other babies, but it's best to consult their doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• EBF babies can have changes in their bowel habits after about 4-6 weeks. As long as when they DO go, the stool is not dry, hard or pellet like, it is normal and safe for an EBF baby to go days, even 2-3 weeks between bowel movements.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• 100% normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I had the same concern when I had to supplement because I couldn't pump enough and was told this by our pediatrician....breastfed babies go almost every time they eat. Forumla fed babies can go every other day, depending on age. Ours is just 2 months, so it was normal for her to go just every other day. It freaked me out at first too!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2011