Grades

My odd is an A student. She has failed her first test recently and is very upset. She is only in first grade. Now I explained to her its normal and nothing to worry about as long as it doesnt happen often. It doesnt seem to have helped her. She is still upset. Any advice on what I can say to her to make her feel better?

katcb1019

Asked by katcb1019 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She does not need to feel better. What she needs is to understand why she failed and how she can assure that it is avoided in the future. What are the steps that are necessary to prevent it from happening. It is alright that she is disappointed in herself. She just needs to be directed so that she can control the situation.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• ya cuddle her, console her & tell her hugging that you are with her and both she & her mama will make her do better in the next test....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Was the test sent home with her? I wonder if you can help her do it again so that she can do better on it. Honestly that just makes me mad and is one reason I homeschool. I also have a first grader and as his teacher it's my job to make sure he's learning what he's supposed to learn, it's not his job to study yet or to care how he's doing. I don't ever grade him on anything because I don't want him worried about grades or motivated by them for a long time.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I understand this is much easier for me as a teacher of one student. I don't do tests and I don't grade at this age, but since I'm there working with him individually I don't need to. I already know how he's doing. Still, all I remember getting in first grade is stars or smiley faces on my work and maybe a red mark to show me if I made a mistake. I just don't think 1st graders should be graded.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Some kids just take it really hard and are really easily upset. Just encourage her to do her best and don't make a big deal out of it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Aww, everyone has an off day. As long as it doesn't happen all the time, it's fine.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I was the same way, and nothing made me feel better. Talk to her pediatrician about some relaxation techniques, and make sure her teacher is not stressing her.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would tell her to keep practicing, go over the test with her to see where she got it wrong. Explain that everyone has bad times like that and maybe tell her of a time you failed.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 10:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Give comfort and explain it happens. Also talk about what to do differently next time
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 3:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2011