Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ex husband wants 2 give me more than 17% of his income for child support, can he do this?

He wants to give me 500 a month instead of 225. We are reaching an agreement with out the court because thankfully we can be civil. How would i do this?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Is 225 all that's required by the state? If so, maybe settle for that with the lawyer or whoever, and if he still feels generous, accept the extra cash he gives but keep record of it.

    Answer by BlueMockingbird at 11:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I would talk to your divorce attorney about that. I don't know much about it, but I can't imagine anyone would say no to that. That is great that he is doing this.

    Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I like Bamzakarat's answer. Should they inclde, "in times of hardship___will pay 225 until..." bla bla bla, should ex husband be laid off at work or have an outrageous car repair bill?

    Answer by BlueMockingbird at 11:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Ummm, he would give you a check and you would make sure you give him recipts.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Ya but i would need a contract or something just in case he changes his mind.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Feel you are lucky enough. My ex doesn't want to give at all. Find out the procedures from a lawyer, the best one to help...

    Answer by AnuMeha at 11:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Thank God for him being so civil. This is not the case with many. He is a good guy and understand that children needs things and require money to do so. You are so luck.

    Answer by dubewife at 11:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Oh! Sorry, you're not settling it in court. Um, maybe get notary signed at TCF bank?

    Answer by BlueMockingbird at 11:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I would either talk to a lawyer and or write one up yourself and have him and yourself sign it, date it, and make sure you clearly state that he is the one that offered to pay that amount each month. Give him a copy and keep one yourself. An example: I _your name__ am writing this contract to state that ___his name___ has offered and agreed to pay $500 each month in child support. He has made this decision on his own and agrees to pay the agreed upon amount until __child's name__ reaches the age of (whatever your state laws are on how long a parent has to pay child support). Then you both sign it. GL hon.

    Answer by Bamzakarat at 11:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • would accept it( making a record and giving receipt) be honest, keeping in mind that if something was to happen and he couldnt do it for some reason, he is not obligated to do so. in means dont base your family living off of his responiblity respect. it is great you both are very civil, its good for the children. try putting some of the extra into a savings account for the kids for a rainy day or family emergency

    Answer by tweety24kt at 12:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2011