Do you wake a sleeping baby to give her meds?

My daughter has had a fever for two days, she's 4mos, and has a horrible cold. Do I wake her to give her tylenol to keep the fever down and then put her back to bed? or do I let her continue to sleep?

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If require I would do that...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• personally, unless the fever were super high, I'd let her sleep, unless it were a medication the dr said she NEEDED. Chances are if she's sick, she'll be up at some point soon. Poor baby, hope she feels better soon!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• nope! i wouldnt give meds in the first place! just dress light and give a luke warm bath and use a cold cloth to put on her head and give her lots of liquids! the fever is there for a reason let it do its job!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Is the fever down now? If it is I would let the baby sleep. Stay near and give it if the fever spikes or when the baby wakes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• That depends on how high the fever was. If she was asleep and due for a dose but didn't feel really warm (or if I was lucky enough to get a temp without waking her, which is hard if you're doing it rectally on a 4 month old) then I would probably wait and check her again in an hour. If she was due for the dose and felt really warm or hot then I would wake her and take her temp and give her the medicine. To me a low fever isn't worth waking up a baby, but if she's already pretty warm you don't want to wait and let the fever get high before she wakes up again.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I set my alarm to wake myself up to check them around the time there medicine would be due. If they are not too warm I let them sleep, but if they have a high fever I wake them up and do what I have to do to get the fever down.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes only if their fever is still high.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would let the child sleep, it's the best thing she can do to get well. You can give it to her when she wakes up. Do you have a humidifier in her room? It may help her breathe better.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• For this, let her sleep. If she's on a prescription med that must be given at specific intervals, then wake.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• depends on how high the temp was and if Tylenol had been bringing it down. I would go check in your LO more often while they're sleeping, but not wake her unless you were really worried. And if its to that point you probably need to call a nurseline or doctor. We didn't do tylenol for anything under 100.4. or 101 rectally.

I never woke my baby for Tylenol/fever but she was sick and needed meds every 4 hours (prescription) in that case we did have to wake her.
    handsfreemom

Answer by handsfreemom at 1:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2011