Done already...

I am only 25 weeks pregnant and I am already done being pregnant. I have a severe round ligament injury, which is a ligament in the lower abdomen. This has been causing me lots of pain, and they will not give me any pain medications stronger than Tylenol 3, which does not work. I can not get comfortable at all, and I am waking up a lot through the night to reposition myself because of the sever pain. I want my baby to have as much time to develop and grow, but, unlike my other two pregnancies, I do not enjoy being pregnant...
Also, I have been on an antidepressant medication, Cymbalta, for over three years. This is considered a class C medication by the FDA, which means that is is not safe during pregnancy. I have been weaning off this medication, but still worry about the effects on the baby, and the effects that I will have when completely off the medication.

Anyone have some advice, or positive words for me in my time of feeling low? lol

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 11:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have some advice to hopefully help with the pain.... A chiropractor can help a lot with pregnancy pains, it may not make it go away but an adjustment may help relieve some of the pressure and give you a little relief. If you can do some yoga, that may also help.

I've never been on anti-depressants but I have been depressed and I know how hard that can be. Are you seeing a therapist? Have you discussed any other options? My therapist never tried to put me on meds, he's focuses on diet, which actually plays a big role in mental health, and some other stress controllers. He calls it "feeling your feelings" and breathing through them. I'd be happy to talk to you about it if you'd like. It's really helped me.

Congrats on your pregnancy!
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• as far as your pain goes try sleeping in a comfy chair or on the couch instead of laying down flat in the bed...with the antidepressants i understand how you are feeling i was taking Paxil for a long time and got off of it a couple of years ago however with all the hormones going through my body being pregnant there were days i felt like i needed to take it again because i thought i was going to go crazy...knowing i couldnt take my meds i tried to breathe and rest and spend some me time just relaxing..take a bath read a book or go have a pedicure(this helps to destress like you wouldnt believe ) do something for yourself that you know you enjoy and hopefully that will take a little away from the raging hormones making you feel like you need to take your medication...as far as how it will effect the baby your doctor should have already gone over that with you but i hope that you are able to get yourself calm cuz i know its hard
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Cymbalta will effect the baby more so in the beginning of the pregnancy, so basically I would stay on it cause what is done is done. If your health care provider knew you were taking this and still suggested you stay on it, it is for the best. Weaning off a medication, especially this late when things are already developed is kinda pointless.. I'm guessing you came up with that yourself, if not best to find a new doctor when you can. If I could like a question it would be yours.. I have the same kinda injury complicated by loads of health issues.. I am 28 weeks and am SO done.. I keep asking um is she fully developed yet.. can she come out now?? I keep having contractions and last they checked am only 2 cm dialated.. I so want her to come cause I am miserable. My son was a breeze but my with my heart condition that mysteriously developed... I am miserable. I feel for you and hope you feel better. Hot baths.. 4 times a day.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 3:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I second the chiropractor
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There are no studies on Cymbalta during pregnancy. In animal studies (with rats) the animals that were on the Cymbalta during the whole pregnancy had babies born with breathing difficulties and problems with their heart beating normally. This problem was eliminated (in the animal studies) when the Cymbalta was stopped prior to the third trimester. There were no effects on the babies in these studies of Cymbalta taken during the first trimester as during the first trimester, the fetus gets VERY little nourishment from the mother.
    My doctor wanted to put me onto a different antidepressant because of my history of depression, and postpartum depression. I tried a couple different things, but they did not help. Th doctor wanted me to wean off of the Cymbalta because of the severe withdraw effects occur when suddenly stopping taking an SSRI medication. As far as trying to not be on any medications once wened, that was my idea
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• But, when I talked to my OBGYN today, he does not want me to be without medication, again, because of my history. He said that if nothing else is working, that I should remain on the Cymbalta. He keeps saying that it is risk versus reward. I have a number for a Cymbalta study during pregnancy that I am going to call, and enroll in.
    I am also having really bad Braxton Hicks contractions, frequently. Normal I guess. The pain I am having, and being sent to physical therapy for, is a ligament. I can not get out of the bath tub once I am in it. I have been doing a lot for myself. I got my hair cut and died. I got my nails done. I have gotten a massage. I really really want to have a pedicure though!!!
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011