Pits

goes anyone else believe they get a bad rep and are really good dogs?

katcb1019

Asked by katcb1019 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Yep. In fact there were more attacks by Dalmatians last year than there were Pits... But because they are bread to fight by assholes with nothing better to do, they tend to get a bad rap...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Some do get a bad rap.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't own one, our neighbor just had to put one down three weeks ago for killing one dog and almost killing the other one. The owner always would say " Oh she's just the sweetest dog" but it didn't look so sweet as it was standing over the lifeless dog growling at her own owner.

But then I have another friend who has two and they haven't gone nutzo yet. But they still make me nervous because of what they are capable of.
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think it's basically on the owner.  Pit fighting runs rampant in my town so to be honest, I seen one of coming at me or one of my children and I wouldn't give it the chance to attack period.  Sad because they are in fact beautiful animals.  I also think other things should be taken into consideration also.  We had a rottweiler.  Extremely good dog, never any problems.  But then one night she bit my hubs friend right on his mouth when he put his face in hers.  Maybe she didn't like the smell of alcohol, who knows. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• They are illegal here in the UK so obviously i'll never own one.

Yes pits have a bad rep, but its only as a result of years of breeding to fight. I dont doubt that there are some lovely pits out there, but its a risk i would never want to take, even if they were legal here.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• easy question... there are no Bad dogs... just not so great owners.... Pits are just like everyother dog if you treat them badly then they will behavebadly... Pits are smart and hard headed so most people tend to get rougher than needd with them, causeing them to "retaliate" some dogs if bred by an agressive male and an aggresive female take on the characterists of its parents...

If you are looking to get one... I would STRONGLY suggest that you ask to look at th parents... and if the parents are UNAVAILIBLE then so are the PUPPIES... sorry!

MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• it's always the owners fault that the pits attack them or other animals and kills them. bull shit. a poor old lady gets killed by her own pits. i'm sure she wasn't into dog fighting or abused her dogs one bit. or the poor child that got his nuts eaten off by a pit. my poor shih tzu that killed by one. they get bad reps cause of what they have done and are capable of. they are the only breed that is bred to clamp down and not let go cause they were bred to take down bulls and huge game. this is why they cause so much damage when it bites. sure any dog can bite but the damage is much worse. i would never own one. had to many experiences with this breed that have caused them to be labeled a seriously disturbed breed of dog. i think there are few decile or gentle pits. most it's not a matter if but when they will attack. same with chows. they are dangerous.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• such ignorance in the air tonight.. Ban the Deed Not the Breed!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yes they have a bad rap, they can be very sweet dogs
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 2:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well the only kind of dog i had my entire childhood were pitbulls and guess what? I'm still here. I just had my 11 year old pit Guiness pass away last year so sad most loyal loving dog ever great with animals people and kids of all ages. Now currently my husband and i have a pit and a bassett hound sounds funny but its great energy levels at both ends of the spectrum. Our kids range in age from 11 down to 3mos. old and u really couldn't ask for a dog with a better temperment. And i grew up in an area where my neighbors would train their pit bulls to attack cardboard cut outs of cops. So i ABSOLUTELY blame the owners of this highly misunderstood breed. Unlike most breeds they are OVER anxious to please their owners. Everyone knows of the bad but does anyone remember that their nickname used to be the "nanny" dog or that the dog from The Little Rascals was a pit?
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011