Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If only source of income is child support, would I need to file tax return?

Answer Question

Asked by Penny200 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • depends on did the payer of the child support pay taxes or not...

    Answer by tweety24kt at 11:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Normally, you would not need to file income taxes.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 11:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • No.

    Child Support payments are not taxable. The parent making the child support payment can’t deduct it from income and the parent receiving the payment does not have to claim it as income. For child support to remain non-taxable, it must be designated in the final divorce decree as “child support.” Although the payment and receipt of child support does not affect your taxes there is one important tax consequence related to child support payments:

    In order to claim someone as an exemption the IRS says that you must provide more than half of that person’s total support in a calendar year. A special rule was created by the IRS in order to resolve the question of dependency and who gets the exemption.

    Answer by Razelda at 12:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • no because child support is not earned incoe.

    Answer by Jazmineamomma at 12:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.